Volvo Penta 275 Tilt Mechanism Rebuild

neilewins

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta 275 Tilt Mechanism Rebuild

I am having problems with the same tilt mechanism. striped it and every thing was fine. the clutch surfaces were a little shinny and so i roughend those up. sriped the motor and that is perfect like new.
It works ok whne the boat is stationary but when the boat is moving it will not tilt up. Or if you start with the tilt up and accelerate the titlt mechanism thumps and pushes back into the housing.
My thought is that the presure is turning the worm gear and motor?
it is almost like there is not enough power in the motor to lift it under load. I have just brought a new spring hoping this will put more pressure on the clutch, i will let you know.
Help
Cheers
Neil

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Penta 275 Tilt Mechanism Rebuild

I am having problems with the same tilt mechanism. striped it and every thing was fine. the clutch surfaces were a little shinny and so i roughend those up. sriped the motor and that is perfect like new.
It works ok whne the boat is stationary but when the boat is moving it will not tilt up. Or if you start with the tilt up and accelerate the titlt mechanism thumps and pushes back into the housing.
My thought is that the presure is turning the worm gear and motor?
it is almost like there is not enough power in the motor to lift it under load. I have just brought a new spring hoping this will put more pressure on the clutch, i will let you know.
Help
Cheers
Neil

Neil! that is not power trim. it is just a tilt mechanism to raise the outdrive for loading on the trailer or for shallow water at idle speed. Do not try to tilt at anything but idle speed and only half way up max. It sounds like its working just the way it should. Do not buy any more parts.:facepalm::rolleyes: