volvo diesel outdrive??

I am trying to find out what drive would be used behind KAD-43 motor,1999 model. Boat is not close to me. advertised as 290-DP.the picture I got of boat is hard to see outdrive as it has swim platform & kicker motor.but appears to be dark color and odd shaped compared to the old 280/290 type drives.I am looking to buy this boat if this is a good drive system DPX/DP-E ? I know nothing about these newer drives.It is in 26ft 7500# fishing boat.I can get numbers latter as the owner is on trip right now.I talked to marina owner that dose his wrenching before I recived pictures he said it is "E" series.anybody know what they used in that time period AND is it worth owning?The boat is not close to me but Iam going to make trip to look if this is worth while unit.THANKS and I value each opion.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo diesel outdrive??

The internal parts of a 290DP are vertually the same as a DP-E. The only difference on the outside is the color. The DP-E is a silver medium gray color while the 290 was a light gray color.<br />The DPX was also used, but had steering cylinders on the outside of the drive.<br />The 43 is a great engine in my book, wouldn't mind owning one myself.<br />Biggest thing on any of the 41 through 43 series engines is keep a careful eye on the injectors. They are real picky. If they go bad and start squirting diesel instead of atomozing it, they can take out a cylinder very quickly. Pull them and have them pop tested every few years and you should be fine.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: volvo diesel outdrive??

the dp-e was set up as a diesel drive, there has been a few updates over the years with changing the cone materiel. i think the dp-e was the first drive to run the nedox coated cone and the coating will discolor the drive oil but its a good setup.