Volvo Belt Squealing

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi-G

I'm running twins and the problem is the starboard engine. Port engine is not squealing. I also removed the P/S pump from the port engine before install so I don't know if I would have had an issue with it or not with the factory set up.

I've been dealing with this issue since shortly after install. I've replaced the tensioner pulley, tried shorter belt, checked pulley alignment, cleaned pulleys, and checked for stiff turning accessories. Nothing I've done has cured the problem.

Any ideas, any bulletins, any campaigns?

MikDee

Banned
Re: Volvo Belt Squealing

Did you try switching the belts between engines?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Did you try switching the belts between engines?

Can't do that. The port engine does not have a P/S pump. There is an idler pulley in the P/S pumps place. They require different length belts.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If it a V belt is it running near the bottom of the pulley? If it is get the same belt in the next wider size. Also check your pulleys and see it they have rust inside where the belt runs.

If have rust will wear the belt fast and reduce it life by causeing it to wear the side of the belt. When the belt get near the bottom of the pulley then it will not have any grip and slip.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Thanks Boatist, I forgot to mention this is a serpentine belt set up. 86 hours on new install since April 07.
A new belt runs for about 4 to 6 hours before it starts squealing.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........
I carry a bar of Lava handsoap in all my toolboxes,.....
Not only will it clean filthy hands,.....

If you rub it on the working surface of a Belt,.... It'll usually Stop a belt from Squealing........
I do it with the motor idling,.... Just be Careful of your Fingers......
I feel it's the absolute Best belt dressing there is........

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since it's serpentine, it's 1 of 2 things:

1. A pulley is off center and wearing the belt funny. Look at the edges carefully.

2. The tensioner spring is losing tension and the tensioner needs replacing. This is the most likely and common reason for serps to fail.

Chuck

xf15cc

Recruit

I have the same problem. All of my pulley's are in line, I used a 2 foot level to check them against each other. I sprayed the belt with dressing, this only made it worse. I know that the noise is coming from the power steering pump, but goes away after about 10 minutes. It has progressively taken longer for the noise to go away each time I use the boat. I am at lost of what to do now. What are my otions?
1. replace belt
2. replace tensioner
3. Replace pump (or bearings)

Any other suggestions???:confused::confused:

4.3 Gxi, 70hrs