Volvo aq170. What is your fuel consumption like?

spamman450

Cadet
Hi everybody, i am wondering what kind of mileage you guys are getting with your aq170 engines. I was given a 1972 19 foot Bayliner that is equipped with said engine and am thinking of taking it out of storage and fixing it up. I know everybody will have differing mpg's, and every boat is different, i would just like to hear some real world numbers from different sources. Also any advice regarding the engine is appreciated.

Thanks

Spamman450

billinkansas

Cadet
Re: Volvo aq170. What is your fuel consumption like?

Hello Spamman.

I had a 1962 20' Lyman wood boat that I repowered with a AQ170 engine. I never checked the fuel consumption, but as expected it did burn a little more than the 100hp Interceptor Ford I-6 that it replaced. Not terrible though. The boat came alive with the extra power and very little weight gain.

This was a great engine in its time - lots of guts and smooth running, bulletproof, but it is looong out of production and became a major expensive pain in the arse because the engine parts are SO EXPENSIVE. Circulation pump - $800! Accelerator pumps for Solex carbs ($150 ea. x 3!) Ridiculous I say. Plus trying to sync the triple carbs was very tough.

Chrysler had an I/O that used a Volvo 270 drive with a slant I-6 225 cu. in. which would be an outstanding combo as age sets in and parts are required.

On the other hand, the 270 drive was easy to find reasonably priced parts for.

Good Luck!

Last edited: