volvo 3.0 gl/sx 2006 audiable alarm

seventeen2

Seaman
Good afternoon,

I have a 2006 volvo 3.0ltr glp-d and sx drive.
I am trying to retro-fit the audiable alarms for both engines, as the engineer who fitted the set-up decided to leave these out?
I would like to have these fitted as it would omit the need to scan the gauges every 5 minutes!
I have 2 12v standard buzzers and believe the wiring is between the ignition switch and the main harness to the dashboard?
I have studied the manuel which states that the wiring codes should be purple from the ignition and from what i recall, yellow and black from the main dashboard harness plug?
I pulled the dashboard to find that these wire coded do not correspond to what I have and there seem to be many cable tied up spare wires?
Please would anybody know what wires I am looking for?
The dash panel instruments are VDO.
Thanks in advance

Danny

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: volvo 3.0 gl/sx 2006 audiable alarm

the wire color on the engine will be tan/black,best I recall it shifts to tan/blue in the harness but only if both the engine and the hull harness are either 10 pin round or 14 pin flat.your not concerened the the guages cause your not gonna mess with any of that wiring.
you will need to add the riser over temp switch,the engine overtemp switch and the low oil pressure switch.
wasnt an anganeer issue,this time, was the hull manufacturer got super cheap and did not order the option.
remember, volvo wasnt involved ith the engine/drive package installation or rigging.

seventeen2

Seaman

Thanks for the reply Rodbolt,
The engines were a retro-fit to my Princess 32 in 2006, it was supplied with drive, harness, dashboard etc.
When I open up the back of the dash, I can see a blue and tan wire coming from the ignition switch, which is just cabled tied up.
So im gathering this is not standard fit items?
Thanks once again for your help.

Danny

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The blue probably goes to your instruments lights. the Tan/black wire shouldn't be hooked up to the switch at all. Normally you have a purple wire going to the alarm buzzer, and the tan/black wire hooks up to the negative side of the buzzer and goes to the switches on the engine. When the switchs close, it completes the circuit to ground.

seventeen2

Seaman

Thanks for the reply Don,
I will look for the purple wire when im next at the boat.
I take it this whire is directly from the rear of the ignition switch, and is an ignition fed live?
What colour wire am i looking for on the other side of things?
Am i right in thinking this is a wire that connects the dash panel harness to the main engine looms?

Cheers
Danny

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

3.0GL/SX simply tells us its a 3.0L gas carbed with an SX drive. other than that we are all in the dark.
first you either have to post the full model,the full seriel or at least tell us if both the engine and harness side of the main engine coinnector are 10 pin round,14 pin flat to either 9 or 10 pin round or are both 14 pin flat.
with a repower it can be one of the 3 or worse, cobbled.
at the engine harness for flat or round pin 4 should have the tan/black.
some harness on the hull side it changes.
its not in the manual but it does.
its either tan/blue or blue/tan.
first one I did I has to use my continuity tester to insure I had the correct wire tapped as the other DOES go to the instrments.

seventeen2

Seaman

Thanks Rodbolt,

I will try and get the engine info together, I didnt realise there were so many options...as I only know they were purchased new in 2006.
Thanks for the advise!

Regards
Danny

seventeen2

Seaman

Thanks Don

I have found out its a 3.0GLP-D, but will find out the serial numbers for both engines.

Cheers
Danny

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

GL PD has a 10 pin round connector at the engine side.
uses pin 4, tan/blk for the audible alarms.
pin numbers are labled on the engine connector.
trust me, some of the hull side harness's changed the color of the hull side from tan/black to I think blue/tan.
you should have riser overtemp,engine over temp and low oil pressure switchs.
not to be confused with the engine temp sender or the oil pressure sender.

seventeen2

Seaman

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
Hopefully going to try and sort this weekend....but just heard we are expecting frosts, so better drain those engines first!

Cheers
Danny