voltage drop while cranking

joseph1980

Seaman
I've had an intermittent issue with my boat not starting. I think i've narrowed it down to this, looking for ideas on where to look. The voltage going to the coil (purple wire) shows to be 12.5 volts with the key on, while cranking the voltage will drop to 10.2-10.4. would this be causing the starting issue? I replaced the ignition switch, which has made no difference.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: voltage drop while cranking

Voltage is always going to drop when you are drawing that much current while starting.

What engine are you talking about?
What symptoms are you experiencing?

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check your battery with a load tester. Having the 12.5 without load sounds good, but the drop to 10.2 sounds like the battery is toast.

If you can jump start the boat, check the voltage coming from the alternator to confirm.

Good Luck!

joseph1980

Seaman

its a 2000 mercruiser 3.0 liter. I have an intermittent no spark issue. (as tested with a spark tester that will light up when it sparks)

joseph1980

Seaman

have tried a different battery that i know to be good with no luck, the saftey kill switch has been bypassed also with no luck.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

If you have solid state ignition pick-up, if it doesn't see full (12V) voltage, they won't trigger properly.

joseph1980

Seaman

i know i have the delco est system and i was thinking it also would need the full 12v while cranking. I've also removed the gray wire from the tach and it made no difference.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

joseph1980

Seaman

lol thanks for the help but those videos just throughly confused me