vinyl deck material ??

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class
I removed the rear deck no my Crestliner Sportfish 1750 (raised portion = rear casting deck) to replace one rotted section. At this point, I don't want to go with carpeting as it came from the factory. The boat is used mostly for tubing w/ the kids + a little fishing. In searching through old threads I have a few questions re. vinyl options. Keep in mind the rear deck is used as a seat or "sun pad" (don't laugh) almost as much as it's walked on. So:

1. How smooth does the underlying deck need to be to end up with a decent look and feel?
2. Is decko dot be uncomfortable to lie or sit on?
3. Comfortable on barefeet with decent traction/non-slip characteristics?
4. Durable?
5. Any feedback on decko dot vs. traditional textured marine vinyl deck material?

One annoying thing with the stock carpeting is how it holds water and messes. My boat lives in the garage except for a week long trips up north (Traverse City area) If I try to rinse it out, there's nowhere for water to go. Yesterday someone spilled a sticky drink (red punch :facepalm:) so I hosed it off when I got home. I suppose it eventually dries off or slowly leaks to the bilge to drain out. Has anyone added a drain? Bigger boats have scuppers... just a thought to hijack my own post.

Thanks, and everyone enjoy their 4th of July! (I don't expect many posts today.)

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: vinyl deck material ??

Hi Guys:

I replaced a large hatch covering my fuel tank with a 5/8ths plywood and 2" X 2" hatch cover made to fit. I covered it with vinyl deck material from my big box hardware store with very good results. Cheap, durable and washable.

kilowatts

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the deco-dot input. Appearance wise, I agree on the deco dots but have been concerned about slipping. One thing I notice on your deck is someplace for water to drain down to the bilge. I have yet to find anything like that from the factory on my crestliner deck. Now to pull the trigger...

fishrdan

Admiral

I have deck vinyl like EZ and the only thing I don't like about it is it's uncomfortable while kneeling on it, the pattern digs into your skin. Same thing if you are leaning hard on your elbows, the pattern just digs into your skin. Other than that it's great, walking on it barefoot is fine, laying on it is fine also. I have to say, it's a snap to clean, especially if there's fish carnage all over the place. Just hose it down, maybe scrub it down with a brush and some simple green in the tough spots. As for slipping, the marine vinyl (not deco-dot) has good traction. I've had mine installed for 2 years, been out in nasty conditions with wet decks, and haven't lost my footing. the stuff is pretty grippy.