Vintage remote Merc trim pump hydraulic drawing

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to replace the brushes in my old TOP 115 external trim pump. I screwed up and thought I had to unbolt the stator from the inside and took it all apart. Doh!
When I was putting it back together I dropped a small ball into the gear housing in the base of the pump. I had to take it apart to get it out and I screwed up something putting it back together, there were a few springs and ball bearings in there I figure I screwed that up somehow...
I have not been able to find a detail of the actual pump, can anybody point me in the right direction here.
Cheers,
Jon

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
The pump aside, are there any models of transom clamps with built in trim pumps I could retrofit to this 76 115 TOP?
Cheers,
Jon

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you!
Nothing for the actual pump assembly though eh?
I just took it apart again and there is not much to it so not sure where I went wrong.
There are 3 springs with balls between the springs and adjusters that go to needle valves and one with a ball bearing valve along the 2 gears...
It just runs in both directions and doesnt load up at all...
Cheers,
Jon

merc850

Commander
You must have taken the control valve apart [Nr. 6] which is not recommended {manual} so I can't help with that.

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well that is a matter for another day now anyways, damn boat caught fire down under under the deck on the port side...
Good thing I saw the clouds of black smoke and got there with a fire extinguisher and then a hose or I would have lost the boat port and possibly the cottage. The wind was just whipping too.
That sure ruined our weekend.
Jon

Attachments

• 20220604_175334.jpg
    20220604_175334.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220604_180212.jpg
    20220604_180212.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220604_180227.jpg
    20220604_180227.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 10

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gee, how did it catch fire?
Its an absolute mystery at this point. I am not going to tear into it until we hear from the insurance company.
There is no wiring whatsoever on that side of the boat so unless something shorted out elsewhere under the deck and then the strong wind propagated the fire over to there... I dont know...
It could have been very bad if it caught my boat port on fire in that wind we probably would have lost everything, its a boat access only cottage so no fire department.
Jon

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I would expect you would need some fuel, plus a short to get a fire going. Only a battery cable short could start a fire without gasoline or ether.

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gee, I would expect you would need some fuel, plus a short to get a fire going. Only a battery cable short could start a fire without gasoline or ether.
Gee, not really, the most logical thing would be wiring, except no fuses are blown, there is no sign of overheated wires and there is no wiring where the fire breached the deck besides the fact the battery's master switch was off.
Though unlikely it could also have been an ember from the neighbours camp fire, an errant butt from a passerby, etc...
I have training in fire investigating and have been involved in numerous fire investigations so rest assured I will get to the bottom of it once I can tear into it.
Jon