VHF Transmits but wont Recieve

akwalker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got an old Unimetrics Seahawk 24. The radio transmitts great, but quite recieving. Any ideas before I pitch it?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: VHF Transmits but wont Recieve

[colour=blue]How do you know it transmits?

akwalker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know itt transmitts because my handheld recieves it. Its wierd, though, its dead a a doornail on the reciever side. Any ideas?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Disconnect your antenna. Take a bare wire 24 inches or more and bend one end over so it fits tight in the center connector of your radios antenna connector.

Make sure the radio is set for distance. Open the squelch until you here static. Then transmit on your hand held. Also try the weather channels. This will tell you if the problems in the radio or a shorted antenna.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

From that range you dont need a wire shoved in to the SO239 on the radio, belive me you will hear it. Put a VHF SWR bridge {CB 27MHZ will not work} set for foward power and TX I'll see your out put on the meter and check your SWR if it's to high you will see it . I would not TX over 1:7 to1 find your problem most marine Attenna are pre-tuned meaning they are factory tuned for the lowest SWR in your operating freqency. High SWR could becaused from water in the co-ax, maybe you pinched the co-ax and the shield and the center conductor are shorting out against each other, or maybe you shortened the co-ax a lot of cheaper attennas use a specified lenth of co-ax for tuning purposes....... Hopefully this will help you.... Ted, Ham radio operator and extra class licence since 1991

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If Ted happened to read the original post he would have seen you had a receive problem not a transmit problem.

Do what Boatist reccomended. Transmit using your handheld from a short distance to make sure you aren't saturating the receiver and see if that works and see if you can receive weather channels.

Also, you can usually adapt the antenna output of your handheld to your antenna if you think you have an antenna problem...just have to find an engineer friend with some adapters.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with any of these and just buy a new radio.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would not just buy a radio. First determine if the problem is antenna or radio. It is more likely the antenna.
If it is the radio then just buy a new one that suites your needs.

Since he has not come back we are all likely just waisting our time.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Throw it. VHF's are among the cheaper electronics. And even the low-end models have features that are pretty useful these days - like dual watch: a lot of areas have gone to ch 9 for non-distress calling so you really need to monitor ch 9 and 16 simultaneously. And all the new ones will pick up a weather alert alarm and switch you to a weather channel regardless of what you were listening to.