VHF radio troubles

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
So I have an old VHF with about 15' of antenna cable. Can I make my own sleeve for it and just raise it like a nromal antenna? or do I need a piece at the top of the antenna to make it work? right now it looks like the antenna cable has been cut.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: VHF radio troubles

Like just something to hold it up so it can send out signal.. AKA, we have a bunch of cable, but it just kind of dead ends and looks like it was cut. Can I fashion a "sleeve" out of PVC pipe or something to hold it upright??

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you're missing the "antenna" part of the antenna. You just have the coax cable.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Do I need that to make it work? What kind can I get? I literally know nothing about this, lol.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

either google "Marine VHF Antenna" or make one..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdEglNHyHB4

:)

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

either google "Marine VHF Antenna" or make one..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdEglNHyHB4

:)

Yep, I like the sound of this guy.. build it for less than 10 bucks.. that's my style!!

So I don't need much more than the cable to make it... cool!!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Bud your going to make me sound like a father again!!

Get an antenna please before you hurt yourself!!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Bud your going to make me sound like a father again!!

Get an antenna please before you hurt yourself!!

hahaha but the guy in the video makes it look so easy and the cheapest one I ca... edit again... i found one for 25 bucks :eek: is this the right thing?

Last edited:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

need a link bud, it will most likely work, as long as its a "Marine VHF" antenna you should be fine, the more expensive antennas will be built better and have gain built into them which will make them perform better but in your situation cheap is better then nothing, then learn its limitations and keep yourself within them so that you have that measure of safety built in.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

The higher the gain the more performance you get out of the antenna, so a 6db would be a higher performance then the 3 db, 6db would be better on paper. RF (Radio Frequency) is funny though so getting some opinions on that antenna before you purchase would be a good idea, mind you I'm giving you the extremely simplified explanation of RF because I don't want to explain the invention of the wheel etc etc so you have to trust me on this!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I trust you!! what is your opinion on the antenna!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I lean towards housed antennas or the fiberglass antenna, its basically the same thing as the stainless steel whip antenna in the other link except the stainless antenna portion is inside the fiberglass, again simplified version. The fiberglass should help to extend the life of the antenna.

NYBo

Admiral

I don't think much of the soldering technique used by the guy in the YouTube video.:eek:

If you are trusting your life to your ability to get help by radio, think carefully about getting a cheapo antenna. I have one, but I also have a handheld radio for backup, and I will be boating in areas with lots of boat traffic within range of the handheld.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Ehh... I rely more on my cell phone to be honest.. I have yet to go offshore anywhere and even if I did it would likely be within 1-3 miles... if that... What difference would I see between the 3 and 6 db gain antennas?? The radio unit itself was free, so I really don't have much to lose.

NYBo

Admiral

That short SS whip would be most useful mounted high on a sailboat. When antenna gain increases, the propagated signal is flattened, which is a problem with high gain antennas (9 dB or greater) on boats that roll- the flattened signal tends to be directed into the water on one side of the boat and up into the air on the other. Here's a diagram of what I mean:
pattern1.jpg

A 6 dB antenna is good compromise on a small power boat. Mount it as high as you can.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks NYBo... would a 3 dB be too wimpy? Mounting it high anywhere would be tough without a pole... BUt the 3dB one is 5' when raised...