VHF Marine Radio Help/Info...

jstaz

Seaman
Hey guys,
I want to take my boat to the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico near the Alabama coast. I have a fish finder but it is a older model and doesn't have GPS. I always have my cell phone with me but worry it will not/may not work out there. I have all safety equipment required by law. I keep my equpiment well maintained. I think that is enough back info.

Now... I am new to the marine radio thing and need info. I know the more watts you have the further the radio reaches. I also know that there are radios with tons of options. GPS, Emergency/Distress buttons, Weather Channel, Ect. However, What would be the best options? Or MUST HAVE options.

Should I get a radio with GPS since I don't have a finder with one? Or get a finder with GPS and radio without? How strong of a radio should I get? I know 1 watt is not enough. What would be? Any formula for 1 watt = ??? miles of travel for signal? Should I get handheld or a mounted unit? I know mounted unit are stronger. What else do I need other than just the radio? How big of an antenna do I need?

I know I have a ton of questions. Sorry for that. Any help would be great. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Prattville

Cadet
Re: VHF Marine Radio Help/Info...

I use this VHF Radio on my boat http://www.basspro.com/Cobra-F45D-Class-D-Marine-Radio/product/10210164/-1754646, but also have it connected to my GPS, which makes it repeat my coords over the air waves. I have never had any issues with it. This radio will give you roughly a 29 mile range. The highest VHF Radio you can obtain is 25 watts; at least by law. Make sure you have all you need to last a day if you intend to travel very far. No one ever plans to get stranded, but it happens to the best of us. I hope this helps :D!

jhebert

Ensign

I also know that there are radios with tons of options.

All VHF Marine Band fixed radios imported, sold, or installed in the USA after March 2011 must be CLASS-D rated DSC radios. There are really no options.

bgeddes

Recruit

The transmission distance of any radio is effected by many factors. The more influential ones in no specific order:

Antenna height and gain
Radio Transmit power
Transmission line efficiency
Atmospheric and terrain conditions

What I am getting at is you'll want to get a good antenna and cable to make the radio work as a system. Any shortcoming will make the entire setup perform substandard. The good news is there are a lot of options available for a reasonable price.

An OK radio with a great antenna will work better than a great radio with an OK antenna.

jstaz

Seaman

Thank you for your help.

prattville... Is it complicated to hook into GPS? Does that work with handheld GPS?
Bgeddes... What is gain and what should I look for? What is better/worse in that area?

I hear that the longer the antenna the further the signal will go. Is 8' the standard? Will shorter work just as well?

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No VHF is line of sight (mostly). The higher the antenna the better. The better gain antenna you buy the better. As begeddes said. You are much better off with an OK radio and a very good antenna. Mine was 17ft high and I was good for around 50-60 miles in good conditions in the daytime.

If you are really considering the rigs buy a decent radio and antenna. A handheld cheap Garmin GPS will work fine. BUY AN EPIRB. Don't go offshore without one.

jstaz

Seaman

Kahuna... thank you. I will definately get one. I appreciate all y'alls help. Keep it coming if you have more.