VERADO OIL lEAK

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone had or heard of a verado losing major amounts from the powerhead ? It not coming out through the prop but rather the drain hole in the gearcase. The motor is 1000Km away and I won't know more till Monday. Just trying to get a heads up. <br />Thanks all.

Trophy23

Seaman
Re: VERADO OIL lEAK

Hi TIM. I am just guessing, but it sounds like the motor has been over serviced on oil. The manual calls for tilting the motor horizontally for about a minute then going back to vertical to get measurement and making sure oil is between hatch marks on stick. NEVER fill above hatch marks. Manual makes note of this twice in oil fill area, so I think this is very important. Possibly the motor is over filled and thus over pressurizing causing excess oil to be pushed past oil fill sticks rubber stopper. Or stopper is not fully seated. <br />I have a 200 Verado and it came from dealer way over serviced. Mine is at least an inch above hatch marks. I am waiting for an explanation from the dealer and am wondering if this is why motor isn't able to reach upper rpms. I am still on break in so don't know much else yet. Hope this helps. A email to Merc website might get some quick answers too. They have notified me personally by phone withing 24 hours every time I had a question for them. Hope this helps.