Variation of "Not Funny - Just Stupid"-

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class
-and the good part is it wasn't me (or any of my friends) that were stupid (this time)!<br /><br />September 2004, Lake George, NY.<br />---------------------<br />(background info)<br />My friends parents have been running this annual trip for years, they are now retired. The trip is now 3 weeks long, to accomodate everyone's schedules. I'm not retired, but I am on Setup/Breakdown crew, so I go up for a long weekend, come back home, then go up again. This happened on my return for the second part of my vacation.<br />----------------------<br /><br />I arrive Norowal Marina, Bolton Landing, at about 9:30PM, within the pre-arranged window. I call on the FRS radio, but get nothing. It rained all the way up, when it wasn't pouring, but now it is just a light mist with about 1 mile visibility. No answer on the radio after about 1/2 hour, so I figure everyone is rained out & bunk myself in the car until morning BUT- I leave on the radio, just in case.<br /><br />About 10:30 PM, radio comes to life - Pickup in 15 minutes. Grab gear & head to the dock. 20 minutes later, we cast off, 5 minutes later, as we clear no wake zone the rain returns, viz back down to about 75 yards, waves about 2-3 feet. SO it's slow boat to China. Out comes the gazillion candlepower search light. About 25 minutes later (normally 10 minute ride in clear conditions) we're about 1/4 mile from the island we're camping on (Turtle) when I notice something in the side glare of the searchlight that doesn't look right. I tell my friend to stop.<br /><br />Off about 100yds is a canoe, and with the motor idling we can hear a faint, plaintive-<br /><br />help...<br /><br />You could hear the lack of exclamation points!<br /><br />(Time check - now about 11:20)<br /><br />Carefully pull up to the canoe and there is this drowned rat in an old Grumman with a couple chunks of firewood, a couple of "Budget Baja Bags" (a.k.a. trashbags) with clothing & sleeping bags, a cooler, a tent, and a case of Sam Adams. No foul weather gear.<br /><br />At least he had on a PFD...<br /><br />THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU etc<br /><br />Drag him aboard, drag his gear aboard, ask him where he was heading - he was heading out ESE to an island on the east shore (Huckleberry)- the wind & waves drove him almost 2 miles NNW of where he wanted to be.<br /><br /> NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED: <br /><br />Call in to our fellow campers on FRS & apprise them of situation, then I tell Horatio Hornblower he's coming with us & bunking in one of our spare tents until morning when he says<br /><br />"I CAN'T - MY GIRLFRIEND IS ON THE ISLAND"<br /><br />What was in his canoe? Tent... Sleeping bags...<br /><br />According to Vasco Da Gama, he & his girlfriend paddled out to the island without any gear at about 2PM. He leaves her there about 3PM to get the gear & beer. It's about 1 1/2 miles total paddle under good conditions, and the weather during the afternoon there was not really bad, according to my friends - it started getting bad about4-ish. <br />Oh - and it is his first time to Lake George. <br />Oh - and it is the first time they'd ever gone canoeing.<br />SO---<br />By time Magellan starts heading back, it's about 5PM, so he's been out on the lake in weather for over 6 hours, & his girlfriend is on the island by herself with just the clothes on her back.<br /><br />SO now it's RESCUE MISSION - PART DEUX<br />Call in again on radio to the island & let them know what's up.<br /><br />Slow boat to China for about 2 1/2 miles trying to find a small (maybe 30X30 yard) island in the dark in the rain towing a canoe.<br /><br />40 Minutes later...<br />-Get to the island without running aground on other islands (barely) or fouling the prop in the towrope (which slacked off while avoiding other islands)<br />-Girlfriend is happy to see us (and I do mean US, not necessarily Philip The Navigator)<br />Smart girl - she hid out in one of the outhouses during the worst of the rain.<br /><br />THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU etc etc<br /><br />SO Lord Nelson offers to pay for gas.<br />Offers to give us the Sam Adams.<br /><br />My friend looks at me-<br />I look back-<br />She declines the gas money...<br />I decline the beer...<br /><br />We both figured that it was snakebit & wanted nothing further to do with him!<br /><br />Another 40 minutes before I finally get to my campsite - luckily I have good friends and they had suitable beverages prepared for our arrival.<br /><br />Dopey SOB was very lucky that night...<br /><br /><br />====================================<br />How I prevent forgetting to put the plug in:<br /><br />I have a tether on the plug that is attached to the tilt lever on the outboard...<br />After I lift the engine, I wrap the plug around the steering arm so that I can't lower the tilt lever without undoing the plug from the arm. Works every time!

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Variation of "Not Funny - Just Stupid"-

I've spent a lot of time at Lake George, thank God not like that.<br /><br />You're a really good person to do all that you did. It's nice to know people like you still exist. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> You're a really good person to do all that you did. It's nice to know people like you still exist. :)
I think most of them are boaters . . .

Pan-one

Seaman Apprentice

That's one of the best stories that I have read in a long time. What are people think'en. I spend all summer on the river and duck hunt most of the winter on the river. If you really want to see some boating skills or lack of. Wake up early in late Dec. or Jan. head to your local ramp. Then observe (3)350lb. rednecks, a over weight dog, 150lbs. of decoys loading up. Did I mention this all fits into a 14' flat bottom with a 9.9!!!!!!<br />I see it every year, and every year I have towed one like it into the ramp or read about a idot who died. <br /><br />Again, great story!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well - ya just can't drive on past someone yelling HELP when their obviously in need of it...and besides, not that I'm into mysticism or high-end spirituality, but there's something to the principle of "what comes around, goes around"...and someday, in spite of all the preparation & extra gear & parts & safety equipment - I might be the guy out there feebly calling<br /><br />help<br /><br />And I know I would be ROYALLY PISSED OFF at the miserable SOB who wouldn't stop for me! <br />(I'd memorize the registration numbers...and payback's a you-know-what!)<br /><br />And imagine trying to live with yourself if the next day there's a headline "Canoeist Drowns"...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahaha what a story<br /> glad it all ended well. \<br />and I am with ya, what goes around comes around, sooner or later.

AG

Seaman Apprentice

1) good for you..<br /><br />2) hilarious story telling...<br /><br />Thanks,