valve seals???

lillbush

Seaman
I pulled my heads apart today and noticed I only have valve seals on the intake valve? Is this right? I know on a car its not but I am new to the boating world and thought it might not be. Also what is the point of the o ring type gaskets at the top of the valves under the locks?

Thanks
Matt

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: valve seals???

Under the locks? you mean below the valve keepers? valve seals on the exhaust is kinda unnescasary and more oil to the guides isn't going to hurt the exhaust valves, we never ran exhaust valve seals on our drag motors but wasn't aware of marine engines omitting them hmmm? Sorry i wasn't much help to you.

lillbush

Seaman

Under the locks? you mean below the valve keepers? valve seals on the exhaust is kinda unnescasary and more oil to the guides isn't going to hurt the exhaust valves, we never ran exhaust valve seals on our drag motors but wasn't aware of marine engines omitting them hmmm? Sorry i wasn't much help to you.

Yes I was refering to the seals under the keepers. What are they for? It wouldnt hurt anything to put seals on all of them would it?

Robj

Lieutenant

Possibly because on the intake you are drawing a negative pressure and oil can be sucked into the combustion chamger. Whereas on the exhaust there is only positive pressure and oil can't be sucked anywhere. Makes sense to me, but I am not a mechanic.

Have a great day

Rob.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, all three of my marine SBCs have umbrella valve seals on both the intake and exhaust.