Value of Yamaha 25 hp outboard?

sjcslk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 25 hp Yamaha Precision Blend electric start outboard in really good shape on my 16' Lund Rebel. I'm wondering what the approximate value is on this motor if I decided to sell it. I can't find any for sale and Nada values these days where I live seem real low for boats and motors. This motor starts right up and trolls down real nice. Just as an aside, since this is a Yamaha forum, I've had 3 or 4 Mercuries, a Johnson, an Evinrude and a Mariner and I'd have to say I'd buy another Yamaha before I'd buy any of the ones I just mentioned. Thanks,

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Values vary so much depending on your location. Out by me where 2-strokes are banned on many of the lakes......it wouldn't bring much compared to other areas.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I second that location is key. However, I will say that in my area Yamahas are the most desired of the carbed 2 and 3 cylinder 2 strokes. Any time there is a motor lot for sale, the yamahas always go first. Often ads read "all yamahas are sold". Around here people still love their 2 strokes and I know that's not the case everywhere.

I also have a 1990 Yamaha 25 precision blend with electric start and another of that same era but without the e-start and the oiler has been deleted. Both are pretty clean motors and have about 110 psi on all cylinders and run excellent. I'm in the southeast USA and I would say that they would bring about $1500 apiece here, possibly a bit more. I've seen ads for them listed as high as $2500 and they seem to eventually sell but I assume they were negotiated down a good bit.

Why are you considering selling the motor? I have a 2020 F25 on my 16' flatbottom which cost me $3800 out the door. I got the 25 2 strokes as projects after I bought the F25. I absolutely love the F25 but if I had owned these old Yamaha 2 strokes prior I would likely not have purchased the new motor. I got both as non runners and all one needed was new plugs and the carbs synced and the other a new pulser coil as it had no spark on one cylinder. I have 3 more of these motors that are in pieces all the way down to the rings. I'm going to rebuild those and then hold onto a couple and sell the rest.

sjcslk

Seaman Apprentice
I second that location is key. However, I will say that in my area Yamahas are the most desired of the carbed 2 and 3 cylinder 2 strokes. Any time there is a motor lot for sale, the yamahas always go first. Often ads read "all yamahas are sold". Around here people still love their 2 strokes and I know that's not the case everywhere.

I also have a 1990 Yamaha 25 precision blend with electric start and another of that same era but without the e-start and the oiler has been deleted. Both are pretty clean motors and have about 110 psi on all cylinders and run excellent. I'm in the southeast USA and I would say that they would bring about $1500 apiece here, possibly a bit more. I've seen ads for them listed as high as $2500 and they seem to eventually sell but I assume they were negotiated down a good bit.

Why are you considering selling the motor? I have a 2020 F25 on my 16' flatbottom which cost me $3800 out the door. I got the 25 2 strokes as projects after I bought the F25. I absolutely love the F25 but if I had owned these old Yamaha 2 strokes prior I would likely not have purchased the new motor. I got both as non runners and all one needed was new plugs and the carbs synced and the other a new pulser coil as it had no spark on one cylinder. I have 3 more of these motors that are in pieces all the way down to the rings. I'm going to rebuild those and then hold onto a couple and sell the rest.
I'm only trying to see how much I would get for the motor if I sold it separately from the boat and then sold the boat without the motor. The motor runs great. I've had Mercuries, a Mariner, a Johnson and an Evinrude and I can see why Yamahas are desired. The boat is an older 16' Lund Rebel and is in real excellent shape, but most try to low ball on the price of boat, motor and trailer together.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
list the rig higher than you are willing to take for it so you can come down some to make the buyer happy he talked you down some.
listing them separate means you have to find someone with a boat that needs a motor.
you will find more people wanting a complete rig

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I'm only trying to see how much I would get for the motor if I sold it separately from the boat and then sold the boat without the motor. The motor runs great. I've had Mercuries, a Mariner, a Johnson and an Evinrude and I can see why Yamahas are desired. The boat is an older 16' Lund Rebel and is in real excellent shape, but most try to low ball on the price of boat, motor and trailer together.

Around here it's hard to sell a boat/motor combo like that for what its really worth. My experience is that there are so many other similar ones for sale that buyers tend to go cheap and get the combos in worse condition or they try to get you to match yours with a junky ones price. People also don't factor in accessories if any are included. If I was going to split them up I would try to sell the boat/trailer first. Then the motor. I say that because in my area the motor alone would be easier to sell and wouldn't want to sell the motor and then have trouble with the hull. Motors are also a little easier to figure out what market value is assuming yours is in good shape. Boats have more variables thus more price variation, which includes any included accessories and the type of trailer its on plus things like carpet, transom condition, etc.

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a side point here, you say you find Yamahas better than Mariners you've owned. But I own a Mariner 8 and a 25 two stroke, and both are Yamahas under the decals. Mariner parts are now either extinct or overpriced. But the same parts are current and widely available for Yamahas -- all I've had to do is translate the part numbers (the only difference) by looking at exploded views of Yamahas of the same vintage and type. Well, I shouldn't say "Yamahas" like it's something different. What I have is a Yamaha with a orange and red striped paint scheme, and the word "Mariner" stuck on it. And frankly, I'm grateful for that. My 25, pushed a ten thousand pound houseboat 2700 miles down the east coast, across Florida through Okeechobie to the west coast of FL, and I lived aboard that boat, off and on for ten years. That same motor is still in great running condition. My 8hp is now 35 years old and powering my 1958 Crestliner chasing crappies, large and smallmouth, and transporting my family to island campsites.

Well apologies for being slightly OT. But the value of a Yamaha 2 cy of that vintage? I wouldn't sell either of mine, so, priceless.