Using StaBil

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone, using Stabil, come across a sand-like material in their fuel filters? I used to use Star Tron to stabilize the fuel for winter but last fall I treated the gas with Stabil and noticed alot of "sand" in the fuel filter. I've never had this happen before and was wondering if the Stabil had something to do with it.

BARKLEY

Banned
Re: Using StaBil

I have always used Star Tron also. One of my buddy's used Stabil last year and had the same problem. Can't make heads or tails of it???

Thalasso

Commander

have used Stabil for years and this is the first i have heard of anything like this.In fact i use it every time i fill up, especially with ethanol these days

scoutboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We've been using it in a generator we keep at home for about ten years now, and no trouble yet. As a matter of fact, we have had no trouble out of the generator yet. Starts every time.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have always used it in any engine being stored for long periods never had a problem. have had sand in my truck tank plugged the pump up. always get my gas at the same two stations, so i went and got samples and one had sand in it. owner said that was impossible it was in my gas can before i put gas in it. six months latter after not going there any more drove by one day and seen them digging up the tanks and putting in new tanks. must of had more than one complaint.

Art Bernard

Banned

After reading the posts here, I went to my garage and ran an experiment. I have both regular and marine stabil, I shook them well and ran them thru coffie filters, no sand or foriegn particles found.

Art

firstboatbuild

Seaman Apprentice

I have always used sta bil. Just make sure you use the new ethanol blend. The new fuels are hell on older engines and fuel lines.

The new fuels are hell on older engines and fuel lines.

E-10 gasoline has been the norm for something like 25 years now, I wouldn't exactly call that "new". All engines built since it came out have been designed to handle it (though I'd wager a lot of those engines have fuel lines, diaphragms, etc. that it's just plain time to change).

Also, I've never seen any sign of particulates after using StaBil, and can't imagine how StaBil could contribute to that.

Art Bernard

Banned

One thing to consider is the mandatory gas station tank replacement going on. I know here in florida they are making all stations change their tanks. The old metal tanks are comming out and new non-metalic tanks are going in. I believe rust in the old tanks caused by water seperation of gas, and the resulting crap being pumped into peoples vehicles is the main reason for this. Also a good tip is not buy fuel the same day as the station gets it as when they pump it into the tanks from the tanker truck, it stirs up all the crap in the stations tank and it winds up in your vehicle.

Art

JoLin

Vice Admiral

E-10 gasoline has been the norm for something like 25 years now, I wouldn't exactly call that "new". All engines built since it came out have been designed to handle it (though I'd wager a lot of those engines have fuel lines, diaphragms, etc. that it's just plain time to change).

Also, I've never seen any sign of particulates after using StaBil, and can't imagine how StaBil could contribute to that.

+1 to all of that.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I had a few experiences with foreign material in a carburetor and it had nothing to do with Stabil. The float bowls in many carburetors were coated with some sort of material apparently to prevent "porous" castings from leaking fuel. This was also common with small engine fuel tanks like those on chain saws where a cavity in the casting formed the tank. What happens is that coating disintigrated into what looked like white powder -- not really granular. This, by the way was happening (in my case) between 1980 and 1990 which is before E-10 in my state. It was likely due to the fact that isopropyl alcohol was used in the winter up here in the tundra to prevent gas line freeze up due to water in the fuel. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

firstboatbuild

Seaman Apprentice

yes to the fuel e10 is fine but many states have much higher than e10. I had issues with the injection system and we pinpointed it the high ethanol levels in the state i lived many were as high as 20 percent. It has to with the way the fuel handles water.