Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Using comet and Scotch pad for oxidation

I am always amazed at the advice<br />
buffingdemo.jpg
[/IMG]

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I was told that the blue accents on my boat has been exposed to the sun too long and the gel is now "pourous". I was told that there is nothing I can do other than have it painted. Is this true? I have waxed and it seems as soon as I washed the deck all the detergent found its way into these pours and left a white milky like stain. It won't wash off with just water either. Any idea whats going on here?

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

A good polisher will work wonders I bought a 11 amp Milwalkee variable speed polisher, pricey at 200. dollars but worth every penny. I did our Wellcraft V-20 today hull that was heavily oxidized and chalky off-white blotches all over. I used Star-brite medium cut rubbing compound at a medium speed and I pre-sanded with 400 grit sand paper on the nasty stains and mildew that had set in the gel-coat,it took about 2 hours and I compounded and waxed with Collinite and now the hull is like a mirror, I nearly painted the hull it looked so bad.....I'm glad I tried compounding first ......it looks like new....

Cayo Boater

Cadet

I want to try using Comet and Scotch Pad but the only Comet I've seen has bleach. Is that ok. Do they even make Comet without bleach???

studlymandingo

Commander

I don't think the bleach will hurt anything, I use it sometimes when I'm doing general boat cleaning and it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Conchy EL:<br /> I want to try using Comet and Scotch Pad but the only Comet I've seen has bleach. Is that ok. Do they even make Comet without bleach???
Use plain original Comet scrubbing cleanser. It doesn't have bleach, and it ain't no stinking "soft scrub" <br /><br />It will remove old loose powdery gel coat right down to a more solid layer without the fear of sanding right through it. Thats why I decided to try it.<br /><br />When you are done, it will be satin dull, smooth, clean and ready for polishing.

Cayo Boater

Cadet

Seems I can't find original Comet (with no bleach)anywhere! Any ideas of where they sell it? Do you apply the Comet on the gelcoat with a scotch pad, and if you do, which one? How can you tell if you're scrubbing hard enough or not? I have a blue boat and am nervous of scratching THROUGH the gelcoat!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just use any abrasive dry power cleanser. Even Comet with bleach will be OK, just try an area first.<br /><br />I think there are a number of scrubbing powers on the shelf at the store. Look for the house brand, it probably has the least frills.<br /><br />Don't worry about scrubbing right through it. But you will have to polish with a power polisher when done. <br /><br />The whole point of using the Comet and scrub pad was to remove all the white oxidation without the additional effort of using wet sand paper. A scrub pad gets in the corners and all those curves much easier than wet sand paper, all with less gel coat removal.<br /><br />If the gel coat is not turned yet, might just go with a polisher.<br /><br />My finish was bad... really bad and stained, but was not full of cracks and checking. So I came up with the Comet and scrub pad to go easy on it.<br /><br />Good luck

terry2626

Seaman

What about useing this stuff 3M™ Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax? Is it any good?

terry2626

Seaman

sorry something happen and got sent before i was done. Here is what the 3M™ Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax is suppose to do. (Liquid, fiberglass restorer and wax designed to remove HEAVY oxidation, chalking, fading, minor scratches, rust and exhaust stains; plus provide protection on fiberglass/gelcoat and marine topside paints.) Has anyone used this and if so is it any good? I know around here you can find it at Wal-Mart for around $10.