Using an engine hoist to remove an outboard?

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know I have seen it discussed this here, but a search turned up no results. Is it true you can use an engine hoist (cherry picker) to remove an outboard? I have to remove my 115hp Merc outboard to replace the transom and don't want to try to rig something between two trees and use a comealong. An engine hoist seems like the safest way to go and I can either borrow one or buy one from Harbor Freight for fairly cheap. My question is will the boom go high enough to allow me to hook the motor up to it? I know I'll need the Merc. factory tool that screws into the top oif the flywheel bolt, but is there anything else I'm missing?? Here's a pic of the boat so that you can get an idea of how high the motor is:

121.jpg

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Using an engine hoist to remove an outboard?

Most Cherry Pickers will go high enough to remove the motor, but you may have to extend the top arm. Raise the front of the trailer as high as possible and then pick up the engine with the lift. Some motor lifts are a little unstable so try to have it on a level paved surface if possible. Once the motor clears pull the boat and trailer forward. It is a good idea to have a stand to put the motor on and an extra person or two helps also.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most Cherry Pickers will go high enough to remove the motor, but you may have to extend the top arm. Raise the front of the trailer as high as possible and then pick up the engine with the lift. Some motor lifts are a little unstable so try to have it on a level paved surface if possible. Once the motor clears pull the boat and trailer forward. It is a good idea to have a stand to put the motor on and an extra person or two helps also.

Would it be ok to lay the motor down on a pallet?

Moody Blue

Captain

I've used a boom type engine hoist to remove my outboard several times without any trouble. Just remember you will have 400Ib hanging there and its easy to get fingers pinched etc.

Should be no trouble laying the motor down. Fuel is likely to leak out of the carbs, but I would think that would be the worst of it.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

HF hoist and the Merc flywheel tool is what I used. And I made a stand out of scrap lumber, I think the plans/thread is a sticky here somewhere.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

They do it at work all the time, that is how you do it,I went back to R&D once and they had a 350 Yamaha hanging on the picker, what a beast.

Just be sure you lift it from where it suppose to be lifted and you are fine and yes you can lay it on its side, might dribble some gas but you can't hurt it, well, unless you drop it.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

They do it at work all the time, that is how you do it,I went back to R&D once and they had a 350 Yamaha hanging on the picker, what a beast.

Just be sure you lift it from where it suppose to be lifted and you are fine and yes you can lay it on its side, might dribble some gas but you can't hurt it, well, unless you drop it.

Oh man, I hope you didn't just jinx me! LOL!!