Used motor opinion

milmo1

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for a few opinions...

I have looked at a used Johnson outboard. It is a 1984 25 horse. Seems in decent shape. It had been used by the current owner for 3 small outings, then stored in the garage for 3 years. I went to look at it a week ago, but it would not start, a mouse may have severed the stop button wire connection. The owner repaired it and called me back. We ran the motor in a tank, and it seemed to start and idle nice. We took it out of the tank for further inspection.

I noticed a lot of rust color on the painted surface of the lower unit. It was not seen originating from seams or drain points etc. I opened the lower unit to check the lube, and a cup of water drained out, then grey fluid. That was my biggest sticking point.

Then I noticed that this is not a short shaft, but measured a good 20" maybe even 22" from the transom clamp to appx center of prop. Although, it was mounted on a short transom boat.

I guess my questions are these:
1. Should I be very concerned about the water in the lower unit?
2. How hard/expensive is it to reseal the lower unit?
3. How much will a long shaft motor affect performance/safety on a small transom boat?
I run in treacherous/rocky areas, so I am a little concerned over potential damage with a longer shaft motor - but maybe its still worth it.

Thanks,
Jeff

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Used motor opinion

I guess my questions are these:
1. Should I be very concerned about the water in the lower unit?
2. How hard/expensive is it to reseal the lower unit?
3. How much will a long shaft motor affect performance/safety on a small transom boat?
I run in treacherous/rocky areas, so I am a little concerned over potential damage with a longer shaft motor - but maybe its still worth it.

Thanks,
Jeff

water in the lower isn't a good thing, seals are pretty cheap. Could just be the O rings on the fill/drain screws. If they aren't replaced every time the screws are removed they may leak. If its internal, I believe you need a special wrench to get into the lower unit (if its like a merc, never done a johnson before) If not, any competent shop could do the job in less than an hour.

The long shaft on a short transom will cause extra drag in the water, so a hit on performance. May also make the boat ride weird since the thrust is much lower, but don't quote me on that. and the obvious, the prop will be another 5 or so inches below the bottom of the boat so shallow water operation or in your case, rocks, may not be the best combo

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The external measurement to determine shaft length is not to the prop CL, but to the AV plate. It's probably a short shaft motor, with a seal leak. BTW, the shaft length MUST match the boat or you'll have crappy performance, period!

Get an OEM shop manual to assess the difficulty of the seal deal ... there are three plus the vent/drain screw seals ... prop shaft (actually two here), drive shaft and shift shaft. The best way to tell which need replacement is to pressure and vacuum test the LU.

jasper60103

Commander

If this is your first motor, I would find something in good running shape. That way you can enjoy the season on the water instead of tinkering. just my 2 cents.

milmo1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input, all.

It looks like I measured wrong, it is a short shaft.

kbait

Commander

If the price is right, go for it. Get the seal kit, remove lower unit/prop to save $$ at your boat shop when you bring it in.