Used F-150

JoLin

Vice Admiral
When I was shopping for a 3/4 ton pickup to tow my (then) 24' Chris Craft, I asked my mechanic of 25 years which one was best. His reply?

'Buy the one you like best. They all end up in my shop anyway.'

My '99 Siverado 1/2 ton went through two in-tank fuel pumps in less than 3 years. Not a cheap repair. My 2003 Ram 2500 Hemi with 40,000 miles on it dropped a valve. $10.00 in parts, $600. in labor. In the 1990's the Ford trucks were famous for (electronic) transmission issues. For awhile (2000-2004) my wife's company used Chevy Malibu's as company cars and we bought a couple coming off lease as first cars for our kids. All of them (including my wife's) developed expensive electrical issues before 100,000 miles. My 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander is plagued with niggling electrical issues. I haven't been able to keep the front and rear seat courtesy lights working for more than a month at a time. I'm waiting for the major stuff to start failing.

On the whole, (IMO) electrical issues have outweighed mechanical issues for years. Automotive engineers insist on building more and more complexity into them, and buyers love it. Unless they're built to NASA/Mil specs they can't possibly last in the real world. Meanwhile, all the parts are sourced from the cheapest suppliers- China, Mexico, Malaysia et al.

I kinda laugh anytime somebody touts a 2-stroke Etec as being 'simpler' than a 4-stroke. That ship sailed long ago- they both have extensive electronics, and that's where the problems arise.

My .02

bassman284

Commander
Yeah JoLin, the Etec is fully as complex as any 4 stroke ever built. Granted, not quite as many moving parts, but it's generally not the moving parts that cause the problems.

puddle jumper

Captain
Just something to add to your original post. I work on these engines and have repaired that problem. Some times what may sound like a phaser noise can be a lifter / rocker noise. Both sound very close to the same sound and in the same aria.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I purchased a 2003 F-150 XLT 4.6 V8, 3.08 rears, NEW, drove it 170k, never had a issue, normal oil changes, every 50k took it to the Ford dealer, for normal maintenance.
It was a darn good truck...hated to get rid of it.
zyf5nk.jpg

Pulled the Bayliner Capri like it was not even there.

Last edited: