Used boat shopping -Thompson, Stingray or Cobalt?

jkust

Rear Admiral
The Thompson needs to come off the list and replaced with another selection. It should be a nonstarter. It's not a Kia so much as a Studebaker...Kia and Hyundai get high marks and put their direct competition on their toes....that is not the Thompson. It's just a completely obsolete boat with a poor rep and deservedly so. The Cobalt brand up to the mid 2000's was still growing up and are nice boats now. The Stingray is what it is. Low priced, entry level brand that serves it's purpose well. I'd keep looking around for some other choices. Plenty out there.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Back in the day a Studebaker was a great car. It was the economy version of the Packard. Although they are good cars today, back in the day Kias and Hundais were total crap. I only said "Kia" because someone else said it first. Actually, the Thompson is more like a Ford.....LOL.

The Cobalt, IMHO is too old.

With 34 seasons on my Stingray, if i ever need a new family boat it'll be another 'Ray.

NHGuy

Captain
The poster who said the Stingray is equivalent to the Cobalt is not correct. Cobalts are far sturdier and have a greater amount of deadrise. Which is the angle of the hull's vee bottom.
That said, if you boat on a smaller or smoother body of water the Stingray is great. It's lighter, newer, planes with less horsepower, Yada Yada. If you want the boat to ride well or handle chop the Cobalt may do better for you.
If you want a quick planing boat and can handle a bumpier ride the Stingray will be a better option.