Urgent help - nearly broke down at sea. Fuel Problem.

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Have you confirmed that the choke is working properly?? after running for 5 minutes, the choke should be fully open, maybe its stuck closed and thats causing the engine to starve for air..
Checked and opens as it should

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
the tanks are externally vented. they should not hold vacuum at all.
Only checked pipe from thank you pump.
Removed pipe from tank and put the Mitty vac tool on it there.

checked for vacuum in the tank after each run by listening for a hiss when opening fuel cap - nothing

isaacs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it possible that a bearing in the outdrive is toast and it bogs down the engine when it gets hot?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Is it possible that a bearing in the outdrive is toast and it bogs down the engine when it gets hot?
I would say most likely not... usually when a bearing seizes, it REALLY seizes... if that were the case, I'd bet the starter wouldn't even be able to turn over the motor...

It might be a good idea to go thru the thunderbolt ignition diagnostic flow chart and make sure you ignition is working properly

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
I would say most likely not... usually when a bearing seizes, it REALLY seizes... if that were the case, I'd bet the starter wouldn't even be able to turn over the motor...

It might be a good idea to go thru the thunderbolt ignition diagnostic flow chart and make sure you ignition is working properly
Thanks and I agree about the bearing as the engine temp doesn’t move from 150 and the engine spins up nice on the starter.
This engine doesn’t have thunderbolt it’s EST ignition module and the module was replaced last year.

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
We have an outcome.
Jelly in the fuel and one bad spark plug.

greek engineer found these issues

I always like to end the thread with an outcome in case it helps others

Attachments

• 9542D234-48A9-4D81-A347-43761AD3346B.jpeg
    9542D234-48A9-4D81-A347-43761AD3346B.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 15

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check your fuel tank contents for the same goo.

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
On my 91 Evinrude 60 VRO I had a similar problem and it was the linkage for the timing became detached therefore no timing was advanced. The throttle could move and dumped fuel into the carburetor "bogging" it out as you describe.