Upper Water Pocket Cover

74Silverline

Cadet
Ran into a little problem when resealing the upper end of my outdrive this weekend. I was trying to remove the upper water pocket cover and for the life of me, I couldn't get 3 of the bolts loose. To make a long story short, I twisted 3 of the heads off. Now, normally I don't sweat over such things. I usually just weld a nut on top of the broken bolt and turn it out. Or I drill it out. But, as I'm sure many of you know, it's a little tough to get at these bolts. I was wondering if anybody has run into this problem, and if you did, how did you fix it. I picked up an EZ out and I'm going to try to drill a hole in each and back them out. I did try drilling into one of them this weekend and they seem awful hard. But, I'm open to suggestions....<br /><br />1974 Silverline....888....302Ford

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Upper Water Pocket Cover

hi 74 silverline. maybge others here can answer yer question better than me. i'm not a boat tech, and there are quite a few on this board too, hopefully someone will come along and give us both a clue. <br />i got a modle 1 drive, but sounds like were both haveing the same problem. i did same as you have last weekend. however i left one with the drive intact. i will break though. so i could have three broke ones too. i did drill one just as you too. i bet a ez out ain't gonna phase it. seems like we have a stainless bolt broke off in alum. with not much room for error. at this point i am takeing mine to a machine shop. see what they have to say. i think yer weld a nut on idea will be a good idea. don't seem like there are to many alternitives. we can drive them out with a nut, drill them out. maybe taping to the right thread. i think there will be problems taping the stainless out of the alum. though. don't know that for a fact. my bolts are up in the resess of the driveshaft assy. another problem will be no room to t-handle turn a tap. helicoil as been suggested on my cooling problem, i'm surprised thread. i'll hopefully be gettin mine to the machinest soon, i contacted one today. let ya know what happened. <br />yep themz stainless bolts are real hard aint they. bet it took me 2 hours to drill one out. does look pretty straigt, but as was suggested in that other tread, the alum. is non forgiveing. ya get off center bet it will suck ya the wrong way... good luck to both of us.......sorry i don't have the answer for ya but thought it would make ya feel better knowing someone else has got the broken screw blues too... happy boating,,,, when were fixedup.... :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br /> now the fun begins. if at all possible try to weld a nut on them its tough to drill. if you must drill be very careful. if you get to far off center a dremel with a carbide tip may help. unless that pocket is melted I dont touch them due to that reason :) .if it is I finnish the job with my oxy/acetylyne. and I still drill the odd one. an 8 point socket fits a square drive tap. just get the proper size 8 pt socket. I do have a few taps with sockets welded to them someplace.

74Silverline

Cadet

I messed around with it again a little tonight. Not looking real promising at this point. I tried drilling again. Man, at the rate that drill bit cuts its going to take a couple years to get done....ouch...I've sharpened my bits and they still don't seem to touch those bolts. So, I opted for plan B. I managed to get in there enough and weld a nut on to one of the studs, but it didn't do much good. Those bolts must be really galled in there. It just broke off lower down. So.....now I think I'll go to plan C. I had ordered another water pocket today (The old one was pretty melted). Being I have one good bolt left, I think what I'll do is try and drill and tap a couple of new holes along the sides of the pocket. I can get some smaller SS Hex cap screws from work. I should be able to get at least two of them in there along with the one original that is left. Then maybe some high temp silicone along with a new gasket. I sure hope that works cuz opening fishing season is just around the corner....

Bondo

Staff member

Those old mod.1s are Cheap as Dirt on ebay.........<br /><br />Just keep watching a few weeks.......<br /><br />I might even have a serviceable 1 laying around......