upper rebuild on mercruiser 260 in boat.

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since the warmer months will be approaching soon I want to do somework on my 350. Last year when I Winterized it had some issues. My intake manifold was cracked at the exhaust crossovers. also I was misfiring when I pickled it. The motor is about 10 years old and saltwater cooled. The previous owner never beat on the boat and was taken care of. Oil pressure is good 35 psi at idle. I am not a millionaire so I think that doing an upper rebuild should not be expensive. I want to replace intake mainfold/ timing chain/ new camshaft with alittle performance in it/ lifters since I think one is going/ push rods. Is there anything else that I can do to her so she runs great again. I notice some blow buy but I hear its common in this motor. I really dont want to take the heads off. Just more money I dont have. Give me some ideas thanks guys.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: upper rebuild on mercruiser 260 in boat.

Since the warmer months will be approaching soon I want to do somework on my 350. Last year when I Winterized it had some issues. My intake manifold was cracked at the exhaust crossovers. also I was misfiring when I pickled it. The motor is about 10 years old and saltwater cooled. The previous owner never beat on the boat and was taken care of. Oil pressure is good 35 psi at idle. I am not a millionaire so I think that doing an upper rebuild should not be expensive. I want to replace intake mainfold/ timing chain/ new camshaft with alittle performance in it/ lifters since I think one is going/ push rods. Is there anything else that I can do to her so she runs great again. I notice some blow buy but I hear its common in this motor. I really dont want to take the heads off. Just more money I dont have. Give me some ideas thanks guys.

Ayuh,.... In All Honesty,... a $1500. Long Block would be money Better spent...

Doin' what yer plannin' will just Hammer yer weak rings to Death...

Do a Compression test, 'n leak-down tst to see what the motor's over-all present condition is,...

I just see yer plan, endin' Badly...

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honestly, if it where mine, and the only issue it had was the cracked intake manifold, I'd just replace the manifold and run it. Save your money for a new long block as Bond-o said, or for another boat, or gasoline, or whatever. If your old motor lays down in the next couple years, go buy a new long block and be done with it.
Just fix it with what it needs to run reliably and enjoy it. If it runs ok, no need in going any deeper than the intake manifold.

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear ya. I'll do an intake manifold on it the run a compression test. Any good sites for intake manifolds?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You're in saltwater. forget using an ali manifold. get a cast iron dual plane manifold... any ex marine engine one will do.