Upholstery Trim Fastning Question

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm not really sure how to put this...but I'm completely redoing the interior of my boat. Along the gunnels (sides) it has 1/2" plywood covered with vinyl to match the rest of the boat. I tore off the old trim and wood was completely rotten. These trim items were attached to the fiberglass with vinyl covered buttons that had screws going through the material and wood then through the fiberglass. I'm covering the new stuff myself and do not want to have the buttons and screws going from outside through the stuff then thru the fiberglass. Anyone have any ideas how I can attach this trim around the inside gunnels? I've thought of velcro but not sure it would hold the weight. The wood is 1/2" thick, covered with foam padding and vinyl. The longest/widest piece is about 72"long and 15" wide. My desire is to keep the outside smooth all the way around. Any ideas would be appreciated.

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Upholstery Trim Fastning Question

Can you do away with the wood and just cover the padding with vinyl? Then you could use snaps to snap the cushions on.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

MCPO:<br /><br />I just got done doing mine and had the same thoughts as you. I went to a hardware store and a guy pointed out these washers with like teeth on them. See picture below.. It looked like that minus the barrel in the middle.. You put it on the head side and then when you tighten the nut the teeth bite into the wood and prevent the head from turning.. worked great except you install that in plwood first then upholster over it.<br /><br />
748897.gif
<br /><br />Tallman

Ralph 123

Captain

I did the same thing. I screwed from the inside of thee gunnel out into the trim. Works like a charm. You break your back though :( <br /><br />If you use nice SS screw heads and finish washer you can screw on top of it through the vinyl and if equally spaced, looks sharp

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tallman: I went and got those....will work great on most of it, except the open bow area...can't get behind the gunnel to screw them in...it is enclosed. <br />I like the idea of the stainless steel finish screws and also just padding them and snapping them on. I've already cut the wood though.<br /><br />I appreciate your inputs. <br />Cal