Update

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Update

I ended up getting an hot air to electric conversion kit from Jeg's for around $50 (shipped). It looks like the ones that are in the Sierra replacement carbs. The Holley one sold on here might have worked. I just didn't want the non-OEM look. This one was actually for a Q-jet and from what I have gathered the 2GC is almost the same as the front 2bbls of the early 4bbls that had the same electric choke as the q-jets.

If it doesn't work they said I could send it back anyway.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

The choke kit is working great. I also picked up a new battery from Sam's and took her out for tests last night. Everything did perfectly. I thought I lost my trim cylinder braces (they look like red nunchucks). The ranger and i hunted the whole ramp before I found them mashed down between the seat and it's back cushion.

BTW - The parts boat i missed a few weeks ago is back on the water. One of the kids at the dealership bought it and has been working on it during his off hours. I spoke with him a little yesterday and he may be getting hooked too. One of the first things he said was how he liked the hard top so much better than a bimini. Maybe he will show up on here eventually.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

We have gone to two different lake in as many days and I still haven't found enough water to launch confidently. Wife circles while I park and the water is so low you may walk out 30' before it reaches your waist if you stray ou of the little channel at the ramp.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

We got out yesterday and had a great time. I really enjoyed a brisk 73 degree swim and then laid out across the roof to sun dry before sunset. My wife was speculating as to whether she should get up on the roof with me or not. I advised against it. She has enough trouble walking on the deck.

All the systems were working as planned and when we got ready to load up, the tilt wouldn't lift the lower unit. I still had all the down I wanted it just wouldn't come up. The soleniod clicks and nothing happens. I just cracked the lines loose after putting her on the trailer and lifted it by hand.

Never a dull moment.

ziggy

Admiral

great ya had a good time... i got out sat.... had to go by my self though. had the whole ramp to my self, and most of the lake too. total of 4-6 boats out including me.. very peaceful to say the least..

and then laid out across the roof to sun dry
wow, your braver than me.

when i got my nineteen, the po said his teenage girls liked to hang out on top of the top too. so far, i've sat on the edge, up by the ft. window with the hop connected top the ft. window. but haven't brought myself to put my full weight (160-170#) across the top. guess i would if i thought i could get another hardtop if i broke mine, but they seem as rare as hens teeth as for a replacement... so i go up on the bow.... :cool:

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I bounce in around the 220# mark and the top never flinched when I got on it. I made aluminum slides for mine when I put it on. I don't know that they are any stronger than the OEM ones. I just didn't know the others could be had at the time.

The lake was pretty empty for us as well. We went late and there were probably only six to eight others parked at that ramp. I hope that new engine is breaking in well for you.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I decided to rebuild the carb this weekend and ran down to get the kit and it had to be transferred to my local store overnight. I said OK and went ahead with the teardown.

The kit got lost somewhere between the other store and the hub. They said they won't get another until Thursday. BUMMER

It needed doing. When I was disassembling the original the accelerator pump fell apart in my hands. It was surprisingly clean inside though.

ziggy

Admiral

do ya got the 2gc db? if so, pretty easy carb. to work on..

i did mine a couple years ago. it came out good.

i used the oem s/m for setting up to spec.

i used the carb dip, barrymans i think. then soap and water and a tooth brush, then compressed air dried. i went through that process twice. then set up to specs in the book. came out good first try... hope yers works out as well...

myself, i just came in from putting anti freeze in my block and manifold. :( the seasons done... i'm bummed...
all i got left is to do the wheel brgs. + take the drive inside (already removed) for service over the winter... all other pm is done... even ran me the alignment bar in. slipped in real smooth too. life is good, i think. short of the season being over...

it was a good year.. got out every weekend this year with many overnighters... i couldn't have had a better year. not one breakdown... though i did have to pull the engine to R&R my oil pan. still, all in all. i'll take it...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

It is the Rochester 2jet. The GM # is 7043183 if I remember correctly. I've converted a few things on mine such as the electric choke and it doesn't match part numbers completely anymore. The body is still unmodified with the exception of one slightly bent metering screw. I can't imagine how someone could do that.

My kit is supposed to be in on Thursday and my wife goes for her surgery on Friday. If all goes well we will be back home on Tuesday and then I'm taking a few weeks off to stay home and help her get back on her feet. I may even find time to catch up on some of the things I've been putting off.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Got it all finished before we went north. I reground some of the casting marks and reground the venturis so they aligned better (think port and polish) before I reassembled it. It purrs like a kitten now and the electric choke kit I converted for it works great.

Now I just have to see about putting an ad on Iboats and see what is next.