Update on Bayliner Hard Top project

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Remember the Bayliner I made the hard top for? If not check the projects in my sig below. Been a few years and everything has been holding up fine.... until this spring. The boat tarp (typical silver heavy gauge tarps) was worn and ripped on the top during the winter. Snow, ice and water ended up laying on the fiberglass top that was finished with marine top side paint and some body filler was used as fairing. The result of sitting all winter and spring wet was the topside paint has pealed off in large areas, exposing the primer and some filled areas. In many areas the filler has bubbled. The body filler used for fairing was a high end product, and held up for years of sun and salt water. But being held wet under the tarp was more than the topside paint could handle, and water got through to the filler.

Its an easy fix, some sanding, filler touchup and repaint.

So, you can use body filler on the top side of a boat, just don't let water soak into it like mine did all winter and spring.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Update on Bayliner Hard Top project

Do you mind telling us what brand of Paint and Body filler you used.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Update on Bayliner Hard Top project

Do you mind telling us what brand of Paint and Body filler you used.

The paint is Interlux Top Side and so is the primer. I don't remember what the filler brand name is.

The problem is that when snow melted, froze, melted, froze, over and over a thick layer of ice builds up that holds a thin layer of water under it even though the top has a curved roof. So water was present for a long time. Even after the ice melted, the rest of the cover on the top kept water under it.

The sides and front show no peeling or filler bubbling. Those parts are steep enough that water will drain off and the tarp was not tight against it. Looks as good as it did when applied back in 2007.

My mistake. Oh well, live and learn. New tarp is on the way.