Update on 2003 VIP Vision 1886 Boat leaking...a lot. Pics. Rotten transom?

Burro237

Seaman Apprentice
If you've read my previous posts, I've been having trouble with a recently purchased 2002/ 2003 VIP Vision 1886. I've taken some members suggestions to find out where the leak was coming from and test for transom rot by drilling some small holes before bringing it to the shop. I was hoping that my transom was composite instead of wood, because I've seen several VIP boats from that era advertised as "no wood" construction....guess not, unless the composite they used looks and acts exactly like wood. The good news (I hope) is that I did not detect any rotten wood around the transom seal, of course, I could not access all around the transom seal. The part that I drilled was very hard...like concrete. I got sawdust that was very dry, light in color, almost pink. I photographed the holes and the leak as best I could. Need some opinions on what might be causing the leak. Pic one is the best shot I could get, it seems to be coming from where ever the cables go through the transom. Pic 2 is the best shot I could get of my test holes. They were drilled about 3 inches from the housing. IMG_1604.jpg IMG_1617 reduced.jpg

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Update on 2003 VIP Vision 1886 Boat leaking...a lot. Pics. Rotten transom?

When was the bellows done last? How do they appear? It's normally the shift cable that leaks. I think that is your first place you should check.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never got the back story but, it sounds like you need to get the boat in the water on a slow day and just float it on the trailer. Shut the bilge off and get in there and see if you can find the leak. After you get a good amount of water in there, pull the boat back up the ramp and stay on the ramp so all the water is in back. Get out and find where water is pouring out.

I almost sunk my first boat "used" the first time i had it out, shift cable bellow let go half way through the day. Pump could barely keep up. Go it on the trailer and found the water pouring out of the cable below. Second time it was blew a hole in the y-pipe from the shutters.

Burro237

Seaman Apprentice

I wish it was the cable bellow. I assumed it was, because it is such a common problem. So I brought it to my local shop and had him replace bellows and seals. $700 job. Dropped it in the water the next day and it was still leaking. I had him double check his work and everything was on tight. So either he didn't do the job right and is lying to me about double checking it, or something else is wrong. I have let the boat stand with water in it, trying to find where it is leaking on the outside. Can't see any leak outside. Ive been told that this is because pressure from the outside will push the hole open while pressure from the inside will push it closed. My only other guess, now, is maybe the transom seal itself. Or the outdrive bolts and transom are not torqued down enough.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Have you checked your cooling system to ensure it is sealed well around the engine? I have seen I/O's that had hose leaks in the cooling system inside the engine compartment area. It may just leak when the engine is running and pumping water via the cooling system. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Did you tell the shop to find and fix the leak or to replace the bellows & seals? If you told them to find & fix, take it back and demand that they solve the problem you paid for.