update...not good

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: update...not good

Alright well I'll let you guys know when I check everything, hopefully ur right and it's something stupid, But I mean if I got the engine apart wouldnt I atleast want to do a rebuild kit?

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I drained all the oil, there was no metal or anything in it... what now??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

pull the heads and inspect the valves,especially one that dosent look like its seated all the way and pistons.if it did hole a piston you would have a ton of blow-by

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got mine from rapido marine.. they can turn em around pretty quick too.. ship em for $150 i think it was to an airport freight place.. picked it up there and they loaded it into my SUV for me.. i took my old one out bolted on all the good parts and dropped the new one in myself so you should be able to do it.. if you need too that is..

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get back on track. Unless you have money to burn. Start troubleshooting. Pull valve covers. look for broken springs. If nothing unusual pull the head and inspect pistons and valves. Can you move the piston left to right? Can you move it back and forth? How do the walls look? If all good, take the head to a machine shop and have it checked out?:cool:

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any useful tips before I start tearing this thing down? Thanks

SuperNova

Lieutenant

You don't necessarily have to pull the head. Take the exhaust manifold off on the side with the low cylinder, shine a light into the exhaust port and see if you can see anything. You can unbolt the rockers on that cylinder to close the valves. If you look in and the valve looks open- there's the problem. If you don't see anything through the exhaust port, then pull the intake manifold and see if you see anything through the intake port. Of course, a leakdown test beforehand would have pinpointed all this out for you with no teardown at all.
--
Stan

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pull valve cover to see if valve is out of adjustment or missing. Or anything that does not look correct or like the others. Good luck!

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay so what would be my best possible situation? and worse? meaning finding a stuck valve or wat not.

Does it not matter that the other side was 150, 160, 150 compared to 180. 0, 175??

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have a misadjusted valve, they all may need adjusting. And a new compression test. This type of troubleshooting just takes time and no money to determine if you really need a new motor.

Also if you fix that cylinder some sea-foam wouldnt hurt.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Does it not matter that the other side was 150, 160, 150 compared to 180. 0, 175??

Not at this point, what matters is why the center cylinder is zero. Which BTW should be evident when you pull the head.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just read another thread that has the same problem and it was a valve. He dont need a new motor.:rolleyes:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you're not planning to operate in the ocean or up river from a "Falls"

you may just be able to pull the head with the burnt/bent/cracked valve and get that one valve fixed.

I recently bought an old ford V-8 from a guy in Enumscratch that had good compression on 7 cyls and zero on the last one I checked. (go figure)

I pulled that head and took it to the Sumner National Autoparts (Most of the National Autoparts have a machine shop in the back) and they machined the existing valve seat, replaced the guide and the 1 valve. Most of the Napa auto parts stores have machine shops too.

That's all it needed. The other valves were all fine shape.

Now this engine was not a hydraulic lifter engine ( "solid" lifters) The problem WAS caused by a mis-adjusted valve (and they must be adjusted once in a while)

Your engine should usually NEVER need to have the valves adjusted except initially at assembly......since they are essentially self adjusting (hydraulic lifters)

All I needed was a head gasket, valve cover gaskets exhaust/intake etc and put it back together!

It appeared that the engine was run with the burned valve for a LONG time too!

So this may not mean that you need another engine....at least this year.

Also carefully cut your oil filter open and look for metal. You can use a screw driver to punch a hole in it and then use tin snips to cut the rest of the way to see inside. (Don't use a hack saw.....it makes it's own metal shavings!!)

I'll bet you have a burnt /bent/stuck valve. Now having said all this....as someone also said....If the plug problem was caused by severe detonation you may also have a broken/cracked/holed piston.

But if that's the case you'll also probably find metal in the oil.

It'll all will be fairly obvious when the head comes off.

Regards,

Rick

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope ur right, I so want to be able to take the boat camping with me for Memorial Weekend, but just dont have the funds for a new engine before then...

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You better get on it then, so we can get this figured out.:D

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want to, just dont want to without the manual.... I ordered it like 2 weeks ago and it's still not here??

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got the head takin off yesterday... I have a dime size hole in the number 3 piston. Can I start thinkin about a new motor now?