Unusual Liquid on Transom

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice
I have an unusual liquid oozing from the holes on my transom where the motor is bolted on. The liquid has a color similar to new motor oil. However, it does not appear to be oil because it washes off easily with just a squirt from the water hose and it does not feel slick like oil.<br /><br />The boat is fiberglass and is over ten years old. Could it be some form of rot? It does not appear to have any wood in the transom as far as I can see.<br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks! :D

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Unusual Liquid on Transom

It sure sounds like the wood in your transom is rotting. It might stink also. :(

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey Russell,<br />Stick a barbed piece of wire in the hole where the "stuff" is oozing out and see if there's wood and if it's soft. If so, ya got tha dreaded "transom rot"<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Without a doubt you have transom rot.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The bad news is that it is rot from what you have told us. The good news is that it is not a reason to trash the boat. The rot has to go but you can do it yourself or have someone do it. Either way if you replace the transom and plan to keep the boat I strongly recommend that you replace the entire transom from the outer skin in with a fiberglass foam sandwich. It comes in 4X8' (about 1 &3/4" thick) sheets and is used on racing boats. I had my 23' 14 year old fisherman done 3 years ago for $2,500.00 and it was worth every dime. I run two heavy OMC Sea Drives and the new transom is solid as a rock. Just got back from the Fla Keys and 9 days of spinning the props. Don't get much better.

D

DJ

Russell,<br /><br />Do a search on this board for "transom rot". There have been epistles written on this subject.<br /><br />I also think you've got rot. Pull ONE of the bolts and do some poking around.

screenbuzz

Seaman

i would agree russell sounds like rot. like SoLittle said don't trash the boat. you can repair the transom yourself. i just repaired the gunnel rails on my 1981 Manatee boat. both were rotted so i replaced them from the transome to the bow. i had no doubt i could do it. i knew i was experienced in would working . the only thing i was concerned about was the fiberglassing. but i took the project own anyways to save the bucks. i must say the gunnels look as good has new and i don't think a professional could have done a better job. there's nothing like the feeling of pride you get when you step back and look at a job well done and knowing you did it yourself and saved many a hard earned bucks. now i feel so much closer to my boat like she's a part of me now. have faith and good luck.