Unreliable cold starting

dinghyracer

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I have a 60hp Johnson 2 stroke that seems to be a bit unpredictable to cold start. Some days when I go out it will start up first turn and other times it will take 10 minutes to get it running (but I usually get it running in 2 minutes) When it does the latter of the two it will fire up for a few seconds and then just cut out or else start up enough to disengage the starter but the engine will not actually get going. When it starts up it runs perfectly all day and will restart flawlessly even when left for a few hours
My cold start procedure is:
Squeeze the primer bulb until it is firm
Turn the key so ignition is on
Push the key in 8 times to prime
Lift the fast idle lever
Turn key to start
( I know you are supposed to to push the key in to primer and crank at the same time but that never seems to work for me)

This is so frustrating to me because I work with 4 strokes during the summer and they always start up straight away without any fiddly starting procedures.

Greg

Fed

Commander
Pushing the key in 8 times isn't going to do much, the motor needs to be cranking over to pressurize the fuel system.
That being said I have tried the 8 times method & mine does seem to start very slightly easier using it.
I can only put that result down to a small amount of pressure left in the system after hand priming but the difference is insignificant.

So, holding the key in while cranking is the way to go and then if it starts to die after starting you should give the key another press in. (bump)

Secondly make sure your battery, wiring & starter motor are good & spinning the motor fast while cranking.

interalian

Commander
Pump bulb to firm (output pointing up), idle lever to full, key on, press and hold primer for a second, then while holding the primer, crank until fire then let go the key. Usually needs a couple of primer bumps to pick up from stumbles after it starts. On rare occasions, a repeat of the above is needed. Never fails me.

dinghyracer

Cadet
The engine is from 1990 so i've been told (no serial number present). I dont know how old the spark plugs are, but probably worth changing. I will try to use the holding in the key while cranking method next time. I am just trying to figure out if there is a problem with the engine or is it just user error on starting procedure

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the little orifice that sprays fuel in the carb when you hold the key in. they can get plugged.

dinghyracer

Cadet
Il check all the fuel line connections from the primer to the carbs next time im down but I dont think they are clogged because with the engine running when I bump the key the engine will slow down for a second or two.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
a lot of cranking can be tough on batteries and starters. If cranking slower as you go, less chance of starting -- better chance of flooding.

dinghyracer

Cadet
ye I never leave the engine cranking for more than a few seconds. Its usually fires up enough to disengage the starter but just doesnt keep going