Unloading???

newtonb

Recruit
How can I get 15 ft legend angular off my boat trailer? The problem is where I fish is a beach and like to unload before tide can reach boat to float off. The boat has to b pulled off the trailer and wait for the tide to come in order to get to fishing spot at right time. Any ideas of an easy way to pull off boat without much help would b great. It's a bunk trailer.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Unloading???

....if I'm understanding you correctly:

Install another winch on the TONGUE. Install a sheave (pulley) beneath the second winch and another sheave on the aft most cross beam of the trailer on the forward face of the beam and in the centerline.

Prior to launching, reave the winch cable through the two pulleys and back to the bow hook. Disconnect the retrieval winch and using the second winch pull the boat off the trailer.

A tilt trailer is what you really need though.

alldodge

Staff member

How about a large but light Chene type anchor? It's kind of light so it can be thrown off the back. Make sure it's set and tie it off on the stern. Put a line on the bow, have the rest of it held by another or have it pay out as you drive the trailer out from under it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

....A tilt trailer is what you really need though.

Agree that this is really what would work best but didn't want to suggest having you look for a different trailer.

I also use a very shallow, flat launch area that at times the only way in or out is with a tilt trailer. Now I have a full roller trailer and at times it still gets difficult.

2 years ago we had very low water levels for our lake and I could back the boat in until the truck tires were at the edge and the prop would still be out of the water. So then I would just push the boat back about a foot and the bed would start to tilt and then just roll off. Loading it I would attach the strap then get the bow against the roller and start winching. Very quickly the bed would tilt again and then it's just winch it on.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sometimes you just have to have the right equipment for your limitations. You need a tilt trailer with rollers.

I use a boat that's on bunks where it should be rollers but I have a pier to tie off the boat and pull the trailer out from under. I doubt the anchor as suggested will work, although it's not a big boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Tilt bed all rollers certainly is the way to go anywhere any time. But that got me to thinking......Who makes tilt beds any more? I can't say I've seen one in years (except in my garage that is....LOL)

dazk14

Ensign

Install a set of inexpensive plastic bunk slides/slicks. Some I have seen are so slippery, you cannot drive the boat up at the ramp as it just slides back down. They install in minutes with supplied screws.

They also have aftermarket roller bunks, but the price and fitting is a lot more involved.

I don't know the weight of your boat, but you do have a "PO Folk" tilt trailer. Just unhook from car, move vehicle away from trailer ~length of boat and lift the tongue skyward.

With the plastic slicks you'll have it off in a jiffy. You may have to pull the trailer forward a bit to get the nose off (you might not), and the trailer will usually squirt forward a bit.

You can also use the reverse technique to get it back on the trailer. Unhooked trailer, pay out the winch cable, hook to bow eye, start cranking. The tongue going up makes for a much smoother bow transition.

Always test where your lights/plate will land. The plate holders are fairly flexible or you can double zip tie them, so they will flop over.

WE usually will drop them on a tire(s) if its a hard surface.

Go get 'em.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

We use UHMW everywhere at where I work, sheet stuff and round stock on conveyor beds and U channel for guilde rails and I have to say from what I've experienced the stuff doesn't hold up very well. Wears down quickly, becomes brittle and doesn't hold screws very well.

Sure it's slick but it's also high maintenance and not cheap.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

P9290038web.JPGI use bunk slicks on carpeted bunks, and they work well. Big improvement, but I would guess they might not be 100% satisfactory if the ramp were flat. Need at least a little slope to slide off.

Keel rollers and carpeted bunks are really the answer. I can push my tinny uphill.....LOL. The trailer above was a bunk. Replaced the bunks with roller bunks of the same size and added 2 keel rollers. Piecocake - took an hour.