Underwater Adhesive

PotatoAddict

Cadet
Hello all. Is there a way I can attach/glue/affix something to my boat's hull below the waterline while the boat is still in the water (in other words, without having to take the boat out of the water and without having to drill holes and use screws)? Thanks!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Underwater Adhesive

hi......welcome to iboats !

3m 5200 will cure under water....and its really sticky stuff.....BUT.... it is permanant....really permanant.

what are we bonding?

PotatoAddict

Cadet

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm trying to mount a plastic transducer for a fish finder to the transom. Specifically the Raymarine P66. I also just remembered... the transom has bottom paint. Will that be a problem? Thanks again.

PotatoAddict

Cadet

Also, I know now that 3M 5200 will cure underwater, but can it also be applied underwater?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah.....the botton paint has to come off.

if you bond with out taking the paint off......you are bonded to the paint....not the hull....

if you can steel wool the bottom paint off the area...and get to the gelcoat....the 5200 will do it.

but as you know.....the proper way do do this with no problems ever is to take the boat out.

is this a cruiser, is that why you dont want to take it out?

it only needs to be out for an hour to do that job....possibly a half hour.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

3M also makes a double sided tape that works underwater. it is used on keel guards. The dificult part to underwater bonding is making sure your surfaces are clean. 5200 takes days to cure. I use tons of that stuff excelent product. I would check int the tape.

PotatoAddict

Cadet

Thanks for the input so far. The boat is a 33' Sea Ray Sundancer. I can't think of any other practical way to get it out of the water so I'm seeking an alternative if possible.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should go with a thru hull transducer that is mounted on the inside of the boat. They just epoxy to the hull on the inside and shoot through the fiberglass.