unable to drain power steering cooler

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
well today I winterized my boat. drained everything pulled all hoses and drain fuel cooler. when I went to drain the power steering cooler I noticed they used "crimp" style hose clamps instead of the tighten able clamps. than I noticed something, volvo put the cooler right underneath the manifold, they made it higher than the impeller....so it looks like it gravity drains and even if there was a bit of water left in it I dont think it will freeze. but I drained all hoses on the impeller housing into the bilge so the cooler should be empty correct?

I think Volvo did this on purpose, It also says nothing in the manual about having to drain it but it does say drain the fuel cooler. someone tell me if im correct. Thanks

Nathan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: unable to drain power steering cooler

I noticed something, volvo put the cooler right underneath the manifold,

Under the manifold? They usually put the PS cooler across the back of the engine. Here is the drawing for your model, I colored the cooler red. Usually the lower dark gray hose in the picture will drain the cooler when you take it off at the pump. The cooler usually sits at an angle so it drains. If your not sure, cut the clamps off and pull the hose and check. Just use a regular hose clamp to put it back together.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cooler.jpg
    Cooler.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 0

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I read lots of post that also said it was at the back but mines not. it's on the port side directly under the exhaust manifold just bellow the spark plugs. I can tell it's the power steering cooler because the lines come and go from the reservoir and steering ram (speaking of that should i put oil or grease on the steering ram shaft?).

I think I will go ahead and cut the clamps and put on standard ones. also silly question is there an oil cooler? read somewhere some boats have them...didn't see anything so I don't think so.thanks

Nathan

Attachments

• DSC03095-iboats.jpg
    DSC03095-iboats.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03097-iboats.jpg
    DSC03097-iboats.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Then cut the clamps and drain it. Not a big deal. When you are done winterizing, spray everything in the engine compartment made of metal down with the Volvo corrosion guard. Best stuff I ever found. Looks horrible when you first spray it on, but after a couple days it dries to a clear, waxy shiny finish, not oily, and really keeps things looking nice for a long time. Even in salt water.
1 can will probably last you 3-4 years. Put the can in some hot water to warm it up so it sprays better.

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks Don for you help!

Nathan

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OP, your PS cooler is in the same location as mine; port side under manifold. You don't have to remove the hoses at the cooler itself - the forward hose runs to the raw water pump. If you remove it at the pump, and push the hose down into the bilge so its lower then the cooler, it will gravity drain.

I took a long funnel, and backfilled the hose with antifreeze for a little piece of mind.

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

OP, your PS cooler is in the same location as mine; port side under manifold. You don't have to remove the hoses at the cooler itself - the forward hose runs to the raw water pump. If you remove it at the pump, and push the hose down into the bilge so its lower then the cooler, it will gravity drain.

I took a long funnel, and backfilled the hose with antifreeze for a little piece of mind.

It's funny everything you just said I did right down to back filling with antifreeze! I think volvo is smart for putting it up high so you don't have to remove hoses at the cooler. thanks

Nathan

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I cut the clamp removed the hose and there was no water in the cooler so I guess there was no need to do that but gave me good insurance!

Nathan

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well I cut the clamp removed the hose and there was no water in the cooler so I guess there was no need to do that but gave me good insurance!

Nathan

Good to know. As for an engine oil cooler, there is not one that I know of.

Don S

Only the big blocks have engine oil coolers.