UGH

Grumpie

Seaman Apprentice
Okay took me a couple days to get the starter off. Oh my I just can't bend that way sometimes. Have to credit my woman for having little hands and bendable arms. I just couldn't reach that back bolt. Well it is all back in and some of my issues like wires and such , I finally found a wire diagram and that helped a lot. Here's my question: Upon finishing with the starter I was looking for any possible wires I may have not reattached. Right on the motor mount on the inside, I felt a cap. Pulled it out and saw it was a freeze plug or a core plug which ever you prefer? This is a new boat to me (used) 79 Searay. 228 Mercruiser. Was told the engine was kept in great shape which everything electrical seems to work on it, but it did have a cracked port exhaust manifold which I replaced, and tried to start then found out the starter was dead and just replaced that. its the starboard side forward cap. all the others are fine and I see no cracks anywhere. How do I replace this core plug, it seems to be behind the motor mount, I do not want to take the engine out, I have no means for that...Also is there anything else I should do to check before I try to start it? The owner did say they thought everything was done on the boat but one of the brothers didn't winterize it last year. We di have a mildish winter here in Texas.

tpenfield

Staff member
Usually you can support the engine with a scissor jack or something similar . . . remove the engine mount and replace the core plug.

Tell us a bit more about this engine and the history as you know it. Popped core plug, cracked manifold generally mean freezing. You probably want to check all of the other core plugs to see if they are there or even slightly pushed out. If a core plug is missing, I take it that you have not actually run the engine yet :noidea:

The problem with freeze damage is that you don't really know what else broke inside the engine that you cannot see. A pressure test of the cooling system can determine if there are any other cracks in the engine block or cylinder heads.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove the outdrive, support the motor from above. 6 x 6 across the gunnels ,a strong tree, chain hoist, etc. remove lags, remove motor mount, install core plug
using a socket and hammer

Grumpie

Seaman Apprentice
Oh my, I so hope and pray it isn't messed up.. I looked over it as fine as I could looking for stress cracks etc. I ave not ran it yet at all, but was planning and trying to start it until I saw the core plug popped out. its a 79 228 hp, 305 Mercruiser. serial number 5374246. I was told it ran regulatory, babied very well. All the interior is nice and strong floors and transom. All electronics work, lights, gauges pop up, bilge works, etc... How do you pressure test a engine without a radiator like in a car?

Grumpie

Seaman Apprentice
Usually you can support the engine with a scissor jack or something similar . . . remove the engine mount and replace the core plug.

Tell us a bit more about this engine and the history as you know it. Popped core plug, cracked manifold generally mean freezing. You probably want to check all of the other core plugs to see if they are there or even slightly pushed out. If a core plug is missing, I take it that you have not actually run the engine yet :noidea:

The problem with freeze damage is that you don't really know what else broke inside the engine that you cannot see. A pressure test of the cooling system can determine if there are any other cracks in the engine block or cylinder heads.

Oh my, I so hope and pray it isn't messed up.. I looked over it as fine as I could looking for stress cracks etc. I ave not ran it yet at all, but was planning and trying to start it until I saw the core plug popped out. its a 79 228 hp, 305 Mercruiser. serial number 5374246. I was told it ran regulatory, babied very well. All the interior is nice and strong floors and transom. All electronics work, lights, gauges pop up, bilge works, etc... How do you pressure test a engine without a radiator like in a car?

thejeep007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I went through the same thing on an engine that was "mint" . Glad I only have the guy $100 and the rest if it checked out. This was the oil 15 min after running, in the garage luckily.

Attachments

• photo223857.jpg
    photo223857.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0

Grumpie

Seaman Apprentice
I went through the same thing on an engine that was "mint" . Glad I only have the guy $100 and the rest if it checked out. This was the oil 15 min after running, in the garage luckily.
I pulled the dipstick and the oil looked new and clean , I'm just hoping that's a good sign. Should I try to start the engine with the core cap off to see if it even starts?

NHGuy

Captain
Core plugs are pretty cheap. Do the known bad one. Get some line clamps and block off the water hoses that exit the engine. Find a way to seal off the inlet to the thermostat. I have a rig that I made. I stuck a tire valve through a plug that I put in the end of the thermostat inlet hose. Pump it to 14 psi and listen for air leaks.
You can buy low cost line clamp multi packs at Harbor Freight Tools. They work fine.

Grumpie

Seaman Apprentice
Core plugs are pretty cheap. Do the known bad one. Get some line clamps and block off the water hoses that exit the engine. Find a way to seal off the inlet to the thermostat. I have a rig that I made. I stuck a tire valve through a plug that I put in the end of the thermostat inlet hose. Pump it to 14 psi and listen for air leaks.
You can buy low cost line clamp multi packs at Harbor Freight Tools. They work fine.

Thanks..