U-Joint Question

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a AQ240 Volvo Penta with a 280 Outdrive. Im getting ready to haul my boat out for a bottom job. Mainly to look if any water is into the u-joint bellows. Im hoping to just do the u-joints and not mess with the bearings. I have two questions.

1) Can you tell if the intemediate bearing is damaged without removing the bearing seal?

2) Once I remove the Upper gear assembly, Can I replace the u-joints without getting into the gear box?

Always thanks for your help.

CJ

captmello

Captain
Re: U-Joint Question

I would say, if you havent had a lot of water in the bellows causing the parts to rust and there is no play in the drive shaft, the bearings may be fine. If your ujoints are covered in rust and there is a bunch of water in the bellows than they may be bad. Mine made a lot of noise to tell me.

You can change the ujoints without getting into the gear box.:)

I'd do the ujoints and the bellows and see what happens.

Good Luck!

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know about the seal to the intermediate bearing? I was told you have to get that out before you can check the bearing?

captmello

Captain

Did you see this?

I would say, if you havent had a lot of water in the bellows causing the parts to rust and there is no play in the drive shaft, the bearings may be fine. If your ujoints are covered in rust and there is a bunch of water in the bellows than they may be bad. Mine made a lot of noise to tell me.

If you want to pull out the seal on the outdrive side when you pull the upper, you can.

There is a seal behind the bellhousing as well on the emgine side. You must pull the motor to look at that one.