Type of trolling motor for deep V-hull boat

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have a 21.5ft deep V-hull bowrider. By bowrider I mean that there are seats all the way around up front. I would like to get a trolling motor but I have no idea what I need to get to make it work with my type of boat. There is only about 6" of hull to mount to up front before it goes into seating. Also the bow is way out of the water. If I did find a way to mount it up front I think that when I stow it, it will be in someones lap. Any ideas would be really great. Thanks Kep

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Type of trolling motor for deep V-hull boat

Go to either Minnkota or MotorGuide web sites. They have installation and unit selection data that will help you pick the right motor. Mounted correctly, it shouldn't bother anyone seated up front.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It will likly be a ugly duckling when complete. Still, Call the motor MFG. and describe what you want to do. They have done them all. They will size it right.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are several quick release mechanisms available so the motor can be quickly removed when not fishing (and taken home if your store your boat away from home).

Richard Petersen

Way up in the air? Some brands have VERY long shaft models. Read and then call each, just in case they have models that are not normally advertised.

cbcrawford

Seaman

I looked at a guys boat about two years ago who had made a platform that mounted over the seats in the front of his bowrider to make a casting deck when he was fishing . . . he'd remove it when he wanted to take along "bow riders", and the trolling motor went along with it.<br /><br />Obviously this was a custom job he did himself, but it was a good functional solution and he loved it.<br /><br />CC

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the help. I e-mailed a lot of the companies, minn kota ect. and have not recieved anything back. The casting deck sounds like something that I could do and is probably the route that I will take. Thanks again, kep.

Richard Petersen

To add onto SHO-boat. If you can not find a motor that puts the prop at least 12" under water. You can cut the long vertical tube and Epoxy in a extension piece with 2 couplings and adding lengths of correct gauge wire inside the tube. Piece of cake and you use all the standard mounts and brackets. Do it. Call the company and get a free piece of shaft same OD.