Two towing pro's can't figure out trailer ball problem

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Two towing pro's can't figure out trailer ball problem

It is a probability that the 1.25 Ball is the correct one. Still can't find a 1.5" anywhere. ???

Once you add the Proper Adapter to fit a 2"receiver, it starts to make more sense to replace the entire coupler.

We still haven't see a picture of the coupler to confirm that it is truly the real problem.
I know that the OP is confident in his assessment, but a fresh set of eyes on the problem often sees something overlooked.

bouncer56

Cadet

if you need to "just get it home" hire a rollback truck to move it.... personally I STRONGLY believe that if I were there I could fix the hitch in under a minute for you... I think there is a fair chance that if you show us the pictures we've asked for we can tell you how to fix it yourself.... of course if you really want to cut it off and put a new one on that's ok too

I would put pics up but the boat is an hour and a half away in Tennessee. I am in North Carolina. The day we were there it poured the whole time. I only thought of trying a forum when we got back here. When I get there again, I will take some pictures for sure. Thanks for your help.

bouncer56

Cadet

I would put pics up but the boat is an hour and a half away in Tennessee. I am in North Carolina. The day we were there it poured the whole time. I only thought of trying a forum when we got back here. When I get there again, I will take some pictures for sure. Thanks for your help.

bouncer56

Cadet

Thanks for this post. I really don't understand this problem yet but with all the help I have heard from all these guys here, I am sure we will get to the root of the problem. I really appreciate all the awesome responses.

bouncer56

Cadet

Well, I definitely don't want to be hack sawing for 4-5 hours, so I will try this ball and also pick up a coupler off of etrailer if that does not work. I will try to locate a 4" grinder. I think the ball will work the way the hitch is set up right now. I know it does not sound right, and it seems like we are missing something, but I assure you we did everything we knew to do to get that hitch on that 1 and 7/8 ball.

That fork underneath was pushed up against the underside of that ball as soon as we started to push that lever down. Other then smash the lever with a sludge hammer which you just should not have to do you know.

Thanks for your help. I will keep you informed.

seafever

Seaman Apprentice

Look at the hitch on the trailer and on the ball, they should each be stamped with an ID that should clearly shows the size of each. If they are the same, I suspect the fork locking plate is either assembled incorrectly or it has been bent by dropping it on a ball hitch or trying to force it. Your dealer should have parts, or recyle and old hitch OR if you can find a new exact replacement, it is easier to replace the fork or whatever is bent than cutting and welding a new one. On some hitches the upper (inside) end of the fork plate has a protruding tang that has to match with a notch or hole from which it pivots, they sometimes get out of the notch, lastly the threaded rod from the locking lever may be bent, In over 60 years of trailering RVs, boats, and flat decks I have seen lots of these. Sometimes just when you are ready to tear your hair out the light comes on and it all falls together.
Hope it helps.
Sea Fever

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Well, I definitely don't want to be hack sawing for 4-5 hours, so I will try this ball and also pick up a coupler off of etrailer if that does not work. I will try to locate a 4" grinder. I think the ball will work the way the hitch is set up right now. I know it does not sound right, and it seems like we are missing something, but I assure you we did everything we knew to do to get that hitch on that 1 and 7/8 ball.

That fork underneath was pushed up against the underside of that ball as soon as we started to push that lever down. Other then smash the lever with a sludge hammer which you just should not have to do you know.

I've cut off tongues several times in my life with just a hacksaw and a new metal blade. MG its only carbon steel! It'll take 10 minutes.

Rebuilding an old questionable coupler is folly. Cut the sucker off and put on a new one and make it a 2". Be sure to use gr8 bolts.

limitout

Banned

lowes has a few 4" side grinders for under $50: Shop Corded Grinders at Lowes.com

its a tool that is handy for so many jobs it is well worth having one around.

as for cutting time it all depends if the receiver was spot welded or a full bead was put all the way around and if it was a clean neat weld or a puddled gorilla weld you have to cut through.

a reciprocating saw (seen here)
http://www.lowes.com/Power-Saws-Saw...ciprocating+saw#!&Ns=p_product_price|0&page=1

is also a great tool for anything you need to cut and makes short work of anything you ever thought about cutting with a hack saw. the next time you need to cut a rusty bolt off of your trailer you will be so happy you owned this tool because it takes longer to crawl under the trailer then to cut the bolt.

after you cut it off you most likely will need to grind it smooth to fit the new one on unless you are very lucky which (for me at least) never happens and both of these tools can be bought for under $100.

why do things the hard difficult way if you don't need to?

Last edited:

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Bouncer,I have three trailers,all with 17/8 couplers and one 17/8 ball on my outback (my boats are fairly small).With two of the trailers I have no trouble,with the third(the one I use most naturally) 50% of the time it will just slip on,the other 50% not so much.It has taken me as long as a 1/2 hour sometimes,and that's knowing that it fits. I have never been able to figure out why it behaved like this but I think I have cured it 'cos I've had no trouble since I simply oiled it,now every once in a while I smear a little grease on the ball.I'm not sure this is your problem,but then,I didn't think it was mine either until I made with the lubricant.
Happy New Year.Geoffwga1

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

before you go sawing and grinding and hacking and cutting and welding may I respectfully suggest you check and see if you don't have a bolt-on model?

But anyway I've found that an angle grinder as recommended is a great tool to have, especially for cutting stuff that doesn't matter. Great light show, too. More fun than a sawzall.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I use my plasma cutter!!!:)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

lowes has a few 4" side grinders for under $50: Shop Corded Grinders at Lowes.com

its a tool that is handy for so many jobs it is well worth having one around.

as for cutting time it all depends if the receiver was spot welded or a full bead was put all the way around and if it was a clean neat weld or a puddled gorilla weld you have to cut through.

a reciprocating saw (seen here)
Shop reciprocating saw at Lowes.com: Search Results

is also a great tool for anything you need to cut and makes short work of anything you ever thought about cutting with a hack saw. the next time you need to cut a rusty bolt off of your trailer you will be so happy you owned this tool because it takes longer to crawl under the trailer then to cut the bolt.

after you cut it off you most likely will need to grind it smooth to fit the new one on unless you are very lucky which (for me at least) never happens and both of these tools can be bought for under $100.

why do things the hard difficult way if you don't need to?

If it was welded with a full bead, just move over a 1/4" with the hacksaw.

I agree about doing things the easy way, and I personally have a grinder and a reciprocal saw. But I didn't have the tools back in the day when I bought a $800 rig that needed upgrading. We're talking about a 25 year old boat here. Maybe the OP doesn't have the $ or another use for the tools. My suggestion IS the easy way out.

UncleWillie

Captain

...That fork underneath was pushed up against the underside of that ball as soon as we started to push that lever down. Other then smash the lever with a sludge hammer which you just should not have to do you know...

If the coupler went over the 1-7/8 Ball, you do not need a smaller ball.
A 1-7/8 ball would not even start to go into a 1.5" coupler.
The problem would appear to be with the locking assembly.

Look at the hitch on the trailer and on the ball, they should each be stamped with an ID that should clearly shows the size of each. If they are the same, I suspect the fork locking plate is either assembled incorrectly or it has been bent by dropping it on a ball hitch or trying to force it...

+1 ^^^
The proper sized Ball will be stamped on the side of the coupler somewhere.

limitout

Banned

If the coupler went over the 1-7/8 Ball, you do not need a smaller ball.
A 1-7/8 ball would not even start to go into a 1.5" coupler.
The problem would appear to be with the locking assembly.

+1 ^^^
The proper sized Ball will be stamped on the side of the coupler somewhere.

good point, I bet the catch got jammed or is bent up into the receiver and just needs to be pried loose or replaced.

go there with everything you need ready to replace it, but first try completely removing the catch from the old coupler so its an empty shell, then see if it drops on all the way

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have re done several of the weld on couplers. I have never see one wear out , but the latching parts to get messed up. Buy a kit.

bouncer56

Cadet

+1 with Maclin, Have a look here and see if your coupler parts match up to one listed and check orientation

Trailer Coupler Coupler Repair Kit Accessories and Parts | etrailer.com

Thank you for the link. I am getting the new repair kit for the trailer, I have ordered that 1 and 1/2 ball and I am going with drills hacks saws and grinders and tools this time when I go to pick up that boat. This boat is coming home this time. Thank you and everyone else here for all your help. You guys have been great.. I really do appreciate all the replies for help.

bouncer56

Cadet

I have re done several of the weld on couplers. I have never see one wear out , but the latching parts to get messed up. Buy a kit.

Thank you Captain MH Hawker.. I have ordered one.

seafever

Seaman Apprentice

PLEASE do not go to the 1.5" ball - that is substandard and at least here it is illegal. That size is not meant for highway towing. If your trailer gets hung up on a bad ramp, or submerged rock and you have to really pour on the power the hitch may not hold. PLUS the hole in the draw bar is too large for a 1.5" ball and will have to be either shimmed, collared or welded. Otherwise believe me it will come loose eventually, you could lose your boat. Go with 1 7/8 or upgrade to 2".
Please think of the next guy to own that trailer. Plus, it you do go to 1.5" and have a wreck, if the insurance company sees that ball you will likely not be covered. Just my two cents based on 60 years of towing...Good luck...and
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

limitout

Banned

PLEASE do not go to the 1.5" ball - that is substandard and at least here it is illegal. That size is not meant for highway towing. If your trailer gets hung up on a bad ramp, or submerged rock and you have to really pour on the power the hitch may not hold. PLUS the hole in the draw bar is too large for a 1.5" ball and will have to be either shimmed, collared or welded. Otherwise believe me it will come loose eventually, you could lose your boat. Go with 1 7/8 or upgrade to 2".
Please think of the next guy to own that trailer. Plus, it you do go to 1.5" and have a wreck, if the insurance company sees that ball you will likely not be covered. Just my two cents based on 60 years of towing...Good luck...and
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

he was only considering it on the short trip to get it home so he could replace the entire coupler, he wasn't planning to keep using it.

bouncer56

Cadet

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Actually, the ball got here today in the mail and it was a 1 and 1/4 ball. I laughed when I took it out of the envelope..We bought some new guts for the hitch and will be replacing that. My buddy bought the new guts for $8.00 and I am not sure if it's for a 1 7/8 or 2'' but that would be the smallest ball we are going with. If that doesn't work for some unknown reason, we are cutting the head off and installing a new coupler. Thanks for your input, your right about insurance and the small size ball.. We off this weekend to get it if the weather holds up.

Thanks again..

Last edited: