Two Stroke oil dripping from lolwer unit

dblanton

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1981 75 hp Evinrude has some two stroke oil from the fuel oil mix dripping from the lower unit at the prop, no fuel just oil. I checked the gearcase oil, no signs of water in the gearcase and the gearcase was full so I'm sure that the dripping oil is not from the gearcase.The oil is much to thin to be gearcase oil. Where is the oil comming from?

gejandsons

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Two Stroke oil dripping from lolwer unit

Slobbering out through the exhaust. Oil mix may be heavy on oil or a cylinder may be misfiring causing the oil on that cylinder to go through the exhaust while the gas has already evaporated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

its normal for an engine, that has not been run in a while, it crud, unbrunt gas, oil and water from the exhaust housing.

Walker

Captain

If its clean oil then I'd double check that its not LU grease. Smell it. LU grease has a strong sulfur smell to it. If it is indeed 2 stroke oil it could be as already mentioned. It started life in your engine as fuel/oil mix and the gas has evaporated leaving just the oil.

dblanton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's definitely oil from the fuel/oil mix, not oil from the lower unit gear case. The oil is black and has an exhaust smell to it. The oil in the gear case is almost as clean looking as it was the day it was put in.
Engine seems to be running fine. Other than the nasty mess that the dripping oil leaves on my garage floor should I be concerned? Is it normal for an engine to do this, if so what would be the expected normal amount of oil dripping out.

dblanton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have checked everything I can think of that might be causing this issue and everything is OK. I dumped the fuel/oil mix out of the tank and was very careful to get the new mix correct, 50:1, but after running the engine, 2 stroke oil still drips from the prop area on the lower unit, again it is definitely 2 stroke oil not lower unit gear lube.
Is there any thing else that could be causing this?

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Don't be worried. This is not unusual especially for outboards that are running rich. On all 2 strokes, some unburnt fuel/oil mix escapes out the exhaust port and into the leg. The previous posts are correct. This could be perfectly normal for your outboard. The only other potential thing that could contribute would be that you are mixing to much oil in your fuel or using an oil that does not burn as clean. But, most likely, this is normal for your outboard.

dblanton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If my engine is running rich how do I correct this, all three carbs have been rebuilt, and they have fixed jets, no adjustments can be made on the carbs. The jets are the correct ones for the altitude (sea level) in my area.

kauboy

Seaman

Yeah, this is normal. How long has it been since you last ran your boat out on a lake. This happens over time as the engine sits. When I started mine up last month for the first time in three months, I got dark grey sludge. Turns out this is perfectly normal for an engine that is burning off excess oil that has been sitting and collecting.

Best remedy... get that thing out on the water and open her all the way up.:D
Seriously, it will burn off or blow out all of that old oil and crud and be ready to go.