Two ignition keys?

La Bullet

Seaman
Can someone tell me if this is stock or aftermarket? or what was modified?
Thanks, Ed
Click link for Large Pic:
http://photos.imageevent.com/sniperalezgunworks/inbox/huge/boat keys.jpg
boat%20keys.jpg

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Two ignition keys?

My guess is your throttle was replaced, and the new one had an integrated ignition. You could run the wires from ignition 1 over to ignition 2, and then eliminate ignition 1. It was a lazy/incomplete install of the throttle.

Dolfan0925

Seaman

My guess is your throttle was replaced, and the new one had an integrated ignition. You could run the wires from ignition 1 over to ignition 2, and then eliminate ignition 1. It was a lazy/incomplete install of the throttle.

My setup involves the exact same laziness. Pretty sure it's from replacing the motor. New throttle/ignition that comes with the motor. They pulled everything from the old motor, put the new one in, and just leave everything the way it is. My old ignition does the same thing, almost nothing.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I agree..
What an PITA... Some people just rig up stuff to work.. I have enough problems with keys to need two on my boat..

Yeah wire to number 2.. Then stick a 12v plug in the hole or something

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I agree..
What an PITA... Some people just rig up stuff to work.. I have enough problems with keys to need two on my boat..

Yeah wire to number 2.. Then stick a 12v plug in the hole or something

12v plug is a really good idea. I believe that will fit in the hole without any alteration.

La Bullet

Seaman

Thanks Guys, I suspected it was modified. Now the thing that concerns me is that the kill switch next to key#1 with the red cord does not shut the engine off, but the one under the key#2 does work. I do like the idea if ain't broke don't fix it and she works just fine this way.

Can anyone help on the kill switch under key#2 as to what devise is needed for a cord.

NOTE: the little slot on top allows for a key to fit and push down on the toggle switch to kill the engine.

Thanks again, Ed

DSCI0967.JPG

DSCI0968.JPG

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Just needs a lanyard I think... I think they sell em right here @ iboats

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just a guess here, but since i see a locator on the console, there may be a trolling motor on the boat as well and the prior owner decided that he wanted stuff powered from the troller batteries or a second (house) battery. That requires the helm be disconnected from the ignition switch on the control box and moved to the second switch so it can be used to power the accessories on the helm. Another very "creative" way to keep prying fingers of little "curtain climbers" from fiddling with switches and killing the battery. As for the control box kill switch, that requires only a lanyard with the plastic clip on the end, or any lanyard with a ring on the end. You flip the switch down, slip the ring over the toggle and flip it back up. Why the lanyard is pulled the toggle moves down killing the engine.

Lastly, is it also possible that this boat was fitted with a kicker engine at one time and the second switch and kill switch were for that engine?

La Bullet

Seaman

Thanks All, It solves the mystery of the two keys and how to use the lanyard on the kill switch.