Two Cycle Oil

dartman

Seaman Apprentice
Why and how are two cycles different for air and water cooled engines?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Two Cycle Oil

Air cooled engines typically get much hotter and need an oil that will resist thermal breakdown. Water cooled engines don't get as hot and have different needs parameters. Now I'll get out of the way and let the Dino vs. Synthetic discussion begin.

ZmOz

Captain

Oh boy...this should be fun....<br /><br />Air cooled = hot<br />Water cooled = cool<br /><br />Obviously, different oil properties would be needed for different running temperatures. Use oil designed for air cooled engines in air cooled engines, and water cooled oil in water cooled engines.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

That should have answered your question dartman...<br /> :)

dartman

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't realize there was enough difference in cylinder temperatures between air and water cooled engines to require a different formulation.

ZmOz

Captain

Yes, there is quite a large difference. Water cooled engines run at around 140-200 degrees, while air cooled engines run at 300 or more degrees.

LubeDude

Admiral

Cant offer much new information here, other than what has already been said,.<br /><br />Many of the better outboard oils are formulated now to run in air cooled applications also.<br /><br />Many people have been using there TC-W3 oils in there lawn and garden equipment for years without problems, However the oil will not adaquatly lubricate in a severe situation, but most do not abuse there equipment so that nearly never comes into play.<br /><br />However using an air cooled oil in an outboard would be worse. The oil would not burn cleanly enough, and it would cause excess oil buildup and fouled plugs in short order.<br /><br />Still, you are better off using an aircooled oil for air cooled engines, and an oil for outboards in your outboard.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

As a rule of thumb, there will be more metallic additives in air-cooled 2-stroke oil compared to TC-W3 oil for water cooled outboards.<br /><br />Outboards have a normal duty cycle of hours at one throttle setting, whereas small aircooled motors vary the rpms quite often due to their application; chainsaws, leaf blowers, etc.<br />Aircooled motors have piston head temperatures that vary widely and do not stay steady for long periods, The heating and "cooling" (contraction) cycles help blow out the metallic ash. If concentrations of metal ash built up in an outboard with their fairly constant piston head temps, they could start to glow causing expensive pre-ignition damage.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I've used 2 cycle outbord oil for my chainsaw and wipper snipper for years. I can't see any difference.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by cobra 3.0:<br /> I've used 2 cycle outbord oil for my chainsaw and wipper snipper for years. I can't see any difference.
Sure it will "work", but oil specifically designed for those engines would work better. When you consider the fact that you only need a few ounces of oil in small engines like that per year, why not just go buy a quart of air cooled engine oil? It will probably last you a decade. 30 weight oil will work too, but again, there are much better choices. There's a reason it says in the manual for any chain saw or weedwacker to use air cooled engine oil. I started using Amsoil in my power equipment last year. I bought a quart for 8 bucks...it's still more than 3/4 full.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Water cooled engines also have the advantage of running in a temperature "band" allowing better tuning of the engines fuel/air mix. I have a air cooled snowmobile and a liquid cooled one ..the liquid cooled one feels like it has twice the horse power. Even modern dirt bikes are liquid cool to get better power

Forktail

Ensign

Most 2-stroke outboards require an ashless detergent oil because their ring-land temperatures run cooler. These are the TC-W3 oils. The ashless detergents work well in liquid cooled 2-strokes, like outboards, because the excess cooling usually holds the ring-land temperatures below 300F. Ashless detergents are manufactured form organic nitrogen compounds, like Hydrazine, instead of heavy metal compounds (like ash containing oil), so they produce no ash as they are burned away.<br /><br />Air-cooled 2-strokes require a low ash detergent oil because their ring-land temperatures can exceed 300F. These are your API-TC, JASCO FC and ISO GC certified 2-stroke oils. At higher ring-land temperatures the low ash detergents can keep the deposits to a minimum, mainly because these detergents are manufactured from compounds of Calcium Phenate and Magnesium Phenate which burn away, but form a heavy metal salt ash that's expelled during normal combustion. Ash type detergents depend on the higher combustion temperatures to keep the resulting ash swept out.<br /><br />Ashless oil meeting TCW3 specs only will not protect an engine requiring low ash API-TC, etc. type oil. The opposite is also true. Using a low ash oil in an engine designed for an ashless type oil can result in fouled plugs and gummy combustion chambers. <br /><br />When 2-stroke oils are used within their intended temperature limits, they provide an adequate protective film between all moving parts. But when the maximum temperature is exceeded, the oil film breaks down and seizure can happen, unless another line of defense is added to the oil mixture. These are antiwear agents like Zinc Dithiophoshate which remain in the oil and are never used unless the base oil breaks down. If the base oil breaks down, they form a protective barrier between the moving parts like piston skirts and cylinder walls.<br /><br /><br />
by LubeDude - Many of the better outboard oils are formulated now to run in air cooled applications also.
They would have to be (dual) rated TC-W3 and JASCO FC/API-TC/ISO GC. <br /><br />No oil can do everything best. And remember, the ratings are based on how the oil prevents wear, keeps the engine clean, and its biodegradability, etc. Not whether or not it's a synthetic or non-synthetic. IMO, an engine recommending a TC-W3 oil should simply use a TC-W3 oil, not an oil that also works in air-cooled situations.<br /><br />
by LubeDude - Many people have been using there TC-W3 oils in there lawn and garden equipment for years without problems, However the oil will not adaquatly lubricate in a severe situation, but most do not abuse there equipment so that nearly never comes into play.
In this case, when talking about "adequately lubricating", it's not the "oil" that must be considered, but the detergents...ashless and low ash. <br /><br />Chances are the examples you gave did not exceed the lubrication abilities of the TC-W3 oil. That is, the ring-land temperatures were held below 300F where the ashless detergents worked. TC-W3 oils simply do not meet the needs of air cooled engines.<br /><br />
By LubeDude - However using an air cooled oil in an outboard would be worse. The oil would not burn cleanly enough, and it would cause excess oil buildup and fouled plugs in short order.
To the contrary, low ash air cooled 2-stroke oil would most likely just foul plugs and gum up combustion chambers, like you say. But running TC-W3 oil in an air cooled engine could result in catestrophic piston and/or bearing seizure.<br /><br />
by seahorse - As a rule of thumb, there will be more metallic additives in air-cooled 2-stroke oil compared to TC-W3 oil for water cooled outboards.
I am not aware that there were any significant "metallic additives" in ashless TC-W3 oil. That's why it's called ashless.<br /><br />
by seahorse - The heating and "cooling" (contraction) cycles help blow out the metallic ash.
Only heating the ash detergents can remove (burn) them. Temperatures high enough to do that can occur anywhere in the RPM band, dependent on engine design.<br /><br />
by Maximerc - I have a air cooled snowmobile and a liquid cooled one ..the liquid cooled one feels like it has twice the horse power. Even modern dirt bikes are liquid cool to get better power.
There are many reasons for this, but in general the cooler liquid-cooled engines allow more energy to be developed inside the combustion chamber without exceeding temperature limits.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Bass and Walleye Boats magazine did an article and published lab test reports on popular TC-W3 oils a couple of years ago. Merc Premium Plus and Yamaha 2M had higher concentrations of metallic additives than most of the others.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sitting in the back of my shop is the carcass of a Poulan chain saw that I destroyed by using TC-W3 oil mixed at 24:1. That was an expensive introduction to your question, Dartman.<br /><br />I should have known better, but was seduced by the guys who "do it all the time with no problems".<br /><br />I haven't destroyed any 50:1 outboards by running 100:1 or 24:1 outboards by running 50:1 because I now read manufacturers requirements instead of believing the guys who "do it all the time without problems".<br /><br />The guys who design these engines, air or water cooled, really do know what they are doing when they tell you what oil to use at what concentration.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

This might be the dumbest question asked, but i will go for it anyway.Would one of you guys tell me how is sinthetic oil maid,what is it maid of. thanks in advance J,C,

Forktail

Ensign

No need to start a new thread.<br /><br />Synthetic base stocks come from organic compounds or synthetic hydrocarbons. The structure of those base stocks is re-arranged so all the molecules are basically uniform in size, shape, and weight.

Forktail

Ensign

by Forktail - I am not aware that there were any significant "metallic additives" in ashless TC-W3 oil. That's why it's called ashless.
by seahorse - Bass and Walleye Boats magazine did an article and published lab test reports on popular TC-W3 oils a couple of years ago. Merc Premium Plus and Yamaha 2M had higher concentrations of metallic additives than most of the others.
If the Merc Premium Plus and Yamaha 2M have significant concentration levels of metallic additives, then they are not ashless TC-W3 oils.<br /><br />According to a Blackstone oil test, the YamaLube 2M has about 18 ppm of Calcium and 1 ppm of Magnesium. The Quicksilver Premium Plus has 1 ppm Calcium and 1 ppm Magnesium. Although not excessive, these are ash components which indicate the oil is not completely ashless. Higher levels of ash in TC-W3 oils would indicate that the oil will protect to higher cylinder ring-land temperatures, but at a cost of possilby more carbon build up (depending on the engine's operating temperature). <br /><br />You can view the metalic properties of these oils here....<br /><br />www.bassboatcentral.com/oilreports1.htm

gss036

Commander

The owners manual for my Husky 359 chainsaw plainly says not to use 2 stroke oil intended for water cooled engines, so called outboard oil, also never use oil intended for four stroke engines. Can't get much plainer that that. <br />I have always used motor cycle injection oil or Klotz (designed for WOT) synthetic racing oil in my saws and bikes. I have never had a problem w/either.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Forktail,<br /><br />Thanks for that explanation, really good stuff. I hate the add something that sort of, umm, gets in the way, however;<br /><br /><br />
by Forktail<br />According to a Blackstone oil test, the YamaLube 2M has about 18 ppm of Calcium and 1 ppm of Magnesium. The Quicksilver Premium Plus has 1 ppm Calcium and 1 ppm Magnesium. Although not excessive, these are ash components which indicate the oil is not ashless. Higher levels of ash in TC-W3 oils would indicate that the oil will protect to higher cylinder ring-land temperatures, but at a cost of possilby more carbon build up (depending on the engine's operating temperature).
This is in direct contrast to what I see when I pull engines down. The engines with the least buildup are running Merc Premium Plus. <br /><br />C..............