Twisted hull?

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Friend of a friend asked me to look at his boat (1987 22' tri hull O/B) as he said it is not tracking properly in the water. He told me it has not been right since installing a new 250 HP Merc O/B this last spring.

I assumed (dangerous I know) that the engine had not been installed properly and was causing the problem. However, a tape measure and some cross measurements says it is mounted straight and as it should be.

While taking the measurements I stood at the rear of the boat and "eye balled" the O/B with the lines of the boat and at first I couldn't believe it but it looked like the boat itself was "warped" but it was hard to tell on the trailer so we pulled it off and sat it on a concrete pad.

Next I took careful measurements of the transom to find its exact center and drew a vertical line from top to bottom. I then laid a level on that line and we jacked the boat up/down sideways until it was sitting level based on the transom.

Then I started taking measurements from all for corners to the ground. What I found was almost 4" of difference from the four corners to the ground. The boat hull is actually twisted! Wondering how in the world this could be I placed a jack under one corner at the transom and began lifting the boat to see if I could bring it back to "straight". As I began lifting you could actualy hear the fiberglass "scrunching" as the one corner came up.

The hull was twisting right before my eyes! I looked the entire hull over and it has hair line cracks thoughout the entire gel coat on the bottom and I suspect those are stress cracks in the fiberglass.

Now before I tell him his boat is beyond repair I wanted to know if anyone has ever seen of anything like this? Is there a "reasonable" repair possible?

FYI: The boat does not have a max HP rating plate but I suspect the new 250 HP O/B was well over the boats rating.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Twisted hull?

there is probabally some kind of problem below deck....im not guessing total rot but its there....im guessing somthing shifted.....(for the hull to stay in the locked position.)

the uscg rules (sticky) have the calculations for the max hp......legnth x width i beleive.....but i think 250 is too high.

im also thinking its a trailering problem rather than an on the water thing.....
in other words...i think it shifted on the trailer not from use in the water.

of course....this is only a guess

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

20 year old, probably has rotten under structure. with a hole saw, cut some test holes in the deck.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

by the way....it can be fixed....but it will need new stringers

Bondo

Staff member

That was my thought and why I took it off the trailer. It wasn't until I began lifting one corner and heard the "scrunching" sound that I knew someting else was seriously wrong.

Ayuh,.... Seriously Wrong...

If it's that flimsy on the ground,....

Just imagine what's going on in the Water, with waves,+ all.....
Not to mention having a motor, Twice the size it should be...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Oh Boy that's scary - Bondo you nailed it.

I put a 18hp Nissan on a 14' Western with a 20hp max capacity. The max hp was calculated based on the weight of a two stroke not a four stroke and it tweak the hull over the period of about a year.

I just fixed it by replacing the transom board with one that has a layer of carbon fiber in between. During the lamination I clamped a cambered board accross the width to give it a slight arch inwards. That changed the stress points from a single centered point to three (left, right and center). Finally, I added in two more knee braces for a total of three.

That's probably way overkill but it did cure the problem completely and I would have no qualms about hanging a 175lb four stroke 25hp off it now.

mthieme

Captain

Yup, you got some serious issues...and a lot of work ahead.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe the USCG formula only applies to Mono hulls under 20ft in length. I could not find a formula for a Tri hull over 20 ft.

Bondo

Staff member

Yeah its a nice older boat but my gut says he would be better off to strip it down, junk the hull and find something else to hang the outboard on.

Ayuh,...

Or pull the motor,+ park it on the front lawn with a sign that says "Free"....

jonesg

Admiral

Ok, I thought about ripping out the floor and replacing the stringers but the fact is I do not have any faith the hull is structualy sound. I suppose that by adding a lot of glass and a LOT of weight it can be beefed up but honestly, its not a reapir I would be comfortable putting my name on. I have visions of this thing in a hard corner, hitting a wave and coming apart in a very nasty way.

Yeah its a nice older boat but my gut says he would be better off to strip it down, junk the hull and find something else to hang the outboard on.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a challenge but there are some lines I just won't cross and this is real close to it, maybe over the line when I think of the safety issues.

A strong engine mounted to a strong framework of stringers wrapped in a tissue paper hull.?

It would require complete gutting, complete grinding and a complete inside layup to rebuild the glass of the hull.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I believe the USCG formula only applies to Mono hulls under 20ft in length. I could not find a formula for a Tri hull over 20 ft.

A tri hull is a "monohull"(it only has one hull vs a catamaran that has TWO seperate hulls, etc.). Trihull is just a design distinction - the three forward vee's run the full length of the hull. A cathedral hull has the same three vee's forward, but the two outer ones fade away leaving a single vee at the transom.