twin carbed or single four stroke

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 24' Offshore Pro Grady i'm going to repower. it's got a full transom with a twin bracket (original grady bracket). Hull weight is 3000 lbs, but throw in a hardtop, fuel/water tanks, gear and outboard(s) I'm problably well over 5000 lbs. I'm considering twin 150 carbed yamahas or a single 225 or 250 four stroke yamaha. Twin f150's are way out of my price range. I can get the double bracket swapped for a single for free, labor included. I bought the boat for offshore diving and fishing, so my instinct is to buy the new carbed 150's. But i have to admit, i'm drawn by the quietness, easy starting and fuel efficiency of the four stroke. I'd hate to think i'm 30 miles offshore, my engine goes south and i'm stuck waiting for a tow. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: twin carbed or single four stroke

Hi,<br />Is it a boat like this You have:<br /> http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/GradyWhite24.htm <br />(seems a little dangerous with that open transom)<br /><br />1. How about the Yamaha F250 to get as much power as possible as main engine. And then a small outboard as "emergency" engine that will be able to take You home in case the main engine will fail. Note sure what seize for the smaller outboard should be in Your case but maybe a Yamaha F50-F60 EFI can take You home fast enough? But probably even smaller will work (not sure it will be enough space to have an emergency engine hanging side by side by the larger engine when that is in the middle of the transom).<br /><br />2. Have You considered two 140 hp Suzuki DF140/Johnson 4-stroke? They are not so very expensive. But maybe not powerful enough? And they are 4-cyl. <br /><br />3. And have a look at the new Mercury Verado 250-275 hp 4-stroke (in combination with a smaller emergency engine like Mercury 50-60 EFI).<br /><br />4. And last, remember Suzuki make also a 250 hp 4-stroke, the DF250. And with a smaller Suzuki like DF50 you can hopefully get home on that emergency engine.<br /><br />Good luck!

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep, that's her, minus the hardtop and full transom. I like the sound of a single large four stroke in the 250 range. However, i'm a bit skeptical about the "unproven" Yamaha and Mercury. They've only come out this year. As for the Suzuki 250, it's been around for a two, maybe three years. it's lighter and larger displacement than the others. But i've heard and confirmed from a local dearler that water intrusion into the powerhead was an issue and parts availability is a concern. I also like the idea of a large kicker for an auxillary. I hadn't really considered that unitl now. Thanks for the ideas.

bossee

Hi again,<br />One thing to consider for the emergency engine seize is that it might be waste of hp to get to big since You will probably not get up on plane anyway with a midrange 40-50-60 hp 4-stroke. So maybe a 20 hp 4-stroke or so will be enough after all and push you forward at a reasonably speed.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> stay away from any DFI motor. the new 250 yamaha four stroke will require 89 octane minimum from what the romours are.<br /> try a pair of 150 yamaha 4 strokes.<br /> but remember<br /> I have done this almost 30 years and have only seen 2 outboards wear out. <br /> most die from customer neglect and a handfull from accident.<br />DFI motors excluded. DFI covers opti-max, HPDI and FICHT<br />DFI has a tendancy to die for no apperent reason and parts are very expensive. were it my money 150 2 stroked carb motors,if taken care of, will last 10 years of pleasure use with no worries.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks rodbolt. Sometimes, what not to buy is more important than what to buy. I appreciate the direct honesty.

bossee

Hi,<br />How big of a problem is any 89 octane or higher gas requirement?<br />I understand it is diffrent in various countries what octane rating is easily available. But in my country (Sweden) You will have to try really hard to find any lower than 95 octane (leadfree).

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> we have a few 24 overnightrs and offshores powered by a single 225 fourstroke with no problems, not a rocket ship but decent and reliable.<br /> I agree the cost of the motors is going to impact our industry soon its hard to tell a man he just spent 16K and it aint gonna make 5 years.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

89 octane is readily available at any gas station. I can't speak for marinas, as i haven't had to fill up at one yet...at least not for fuel.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

the swedish rating for gas is the aki at light loads. the american aki is measured at heavy loads. typically the preferred european method reads higher but its misleading.<br />power wise the 250 suzuki is greater then the 225 yam/merc, i have driven boats with both and the difference is notable. i just winterized a 26 grady with twin f150's that the customer is very happy with. the yamaha f150 weighs the same as the yamaha 2stroke 150.<br />as for kickers, you cant beat the t9.9 yamaha.<br />integral trim and tilt is a nice feature on these motors also.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks BenC for your input, especially on the Suzuki. I can't say as i've ever seen a single 250 rigged, mostly twins on much larger boats. Aside from a local dealer and a question on this forum from Alaska, I haven't been able to find enough unbiased (unsponsored) reviews to form an opinion.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> dude<br /> I am totally unbiased.<br /> the one warrenty I will give you is, use it or not, its gonna break:)<br /> almost like job security :) <br /> its a boat.<br /> its either broke or breaking :)

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rodbolt,<br /><br />no biased accusation intended. by biased, i'm referring to magazine writers who are sponsored by manufacturers to go for a boat ride and promote their product. Although good writers, they're probably not mechanics by any stretch of the imagination. I depend on mechanics, no matter the trade, for their direct experience and willingness to share their opinions and knowledge. thank you for your help.