Turning Point hub kit stuck

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so I have a Turning Point Hustler prop and hub kit that I've been running on my Tohatsu 50 for about a year and a half now. I decided to drop an inch in pitch so I bought another prop, thinking I'd just use the hub kit I already have. Problem is, it seems like it's welded in there now. I've tried a brass drift and mallet, and I've tried using a spark plug socket as a punch to drive it out. Won't budge. Any ideas? Thought the hub kit was supposed to be one of the advantages of these props, supposedly easy to change.

Matt

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Turning Point hub kit stuck

Don't know if this is possible:: Here's what I use to remove stuck grips on old bikes. Work a thin screwdriver or ice pick in between the prop and adapter hopefully it is soft enough.Once you have a little space, squirt some soapy water into it.Try to work the screwdriver a little then withdraw it and give it a try.Grips that seem glued usually slip right off.
little. Some grips are nearly impossible but once the screwdriver is in soapy water does it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

to remove stuck hubs I use the biggest socket that will fit through the hole and a BIG hammer (15 lb sledge isn't too big) swung relatively gently... a little hammer at speed will damage the hub but will bounce off where the big hammer swung more slowly will have the mass to force it out

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Don't know if this is possible:: Here's what I use to remove stuck grips on old bikes. Work a thin screwdriver or ice pick in between the prop and adapter hopefully it is soft enough.Once you have a little space, squirt some soapy water into it.Try to work the screwdriver a little then withdraw it and give it a try.Grips that seem glued usually slip right off.
little. Some grips are nearly impossible but once the screwdriver is in soapy water does it.

Good suggestion, but bike grips are softer rubber than hubs.
Grub

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

to remove stuck hubs I use the biggest socket that will fit through the hole and a BIG hammer (15 lb sledge isn't too big) swung relatively gently... a little hammer at speed will damage the hub but will bounce off where the big hammer swung more slowly will have the mass to force it out

Winner. I hit the socket a couple times w/ a 20lb iron dumbell and the hub popped right out, undamaged.

Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I guess if you want to change props on the water you'll need to carry a 20 pounder with you.
Be sure it has a float on it in case you drop it. lol

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess if you want to change props on the water you'll need to carry a 20 pounder with you.
Be sure it has a float on it in case you drop it. lol

seriously. I actually carry my stock prop as a spare, so no worries there.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

SS, I'd say that on the water you SHOULD have a spare hub too.

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SS, I'd say that on the water you SHOULD have a spare hub too.

Agreed. If I didn't have the stock prop with its standard hub, i'd carry a spare hub kit. I almost bought one today before I managed to get the old one out. Pretty good chance if you bust your prop you'll bust the hub too, at least if it's doing its job.