Turn on ignition key and starter does not turn

BullyARed

Cadet
When I tried to start up my Mercury outboard 200HP on my Sea Pro 21, the starter did not turn with the gear in Neutral. The day before everything worked fine. The starter turned and the motor cranked up as expected. What could be wrong with it? The ignition switch seems working fine. How can I check out the solenoid? Whatelse I should check for? Thanks.

======
Hi, Thanks to all those suggestions. I finally located the problem. It was the throttle control. After lubricating it, I was able to start the motor. The selenoid is good with the suggested test. Thanks again.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Turn on ignition key and starter does not turn

do you at least hear the solenoid click when you turn the key ?

BullyARed

Cadet

Thanks. No. There is no click when Iturned on the key. I removed the selenoid and applied current to the two little terminals, it clicked.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

probably a bad solenoid - get a voltmeter and check the small terminals usually a yellow or yellow/red wire if no voltage there then then either the switch or the neutral safety ( inside the controls ) is bad or try disconnecting the kill wire from the pack also .

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

How do you know the switch is good?

Any gauges or lights come ON with the switch?

Is the main fuse on the engine good?

dbrew

Seaman Apprentice

if your ignition switch is good try bypassing the solenoid with a jumper wire or a remote starter if the starter kicks in then you know the solenoid is bad.

BullyARed

Cadet

Thanks Verado7 and CharlieB. I shortcircuited the solenoid terminal where the hot wire (yellow&red) was connected, the solenoid kicked in, and the starter turned. But, when I turned the key on and ran a hotwire to the switch hotwire(yellow&red), the starter didn't turn. When the switch is on, I can turn on the lights and choke (push in) on. I am not familiar with the neutral safety. I think it could be the cuprit. I will check it out. Thanks a lot.