Turbo 1 vs. Turbo Lightning

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Turbo 1 vs. Turbo Lightning

I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable giving a recommendation on an "unknown"...<br />I have a fair Idea as to how the 3-blade will perform, but I don't feel good about telling you what to spend your money on as far as a 4-blade goes, as we have no base-line, really, and in stevens case we had some good base-line to go from, and we also knew the drive could not be raised...It's truely amazing the number of possibilities you have with the jackplate, but I think it would be best to have a known good prop with some test numbers, as Dhadley said.<br />As for "the Turbo guys", they usually respond in 2-3 days, sometimes a week depending on how busy they are and how many requests they've had.

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't need a new prop before april-may, so there's no rush. Anyway i probably buy just one prop and test its performance thoroughly, most likely the turbo 1. Thank you all anyway.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Did your tech question go to the distributor over there or to the manufacturer in the states?

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To the manufacturer in the US, i also sent them an e-mail containing the same info as in the tech form. Maybe should use hotmail and pretend to reside in the US instead of Finland, i don't know.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The "Tech Question" part of the website is down for Turbo and Stiletto and they cannot pull anything from it. Take heart, they're not ignoring you and they are working on it.<br /><br />Did the guys at Dixon Prop get back to you? They have been in touch with Turbo and have the answers to your questions.<br /><br />Also, have you asked the guys at Race Tech (I believe thats the distributor over there)?

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, but they could answer my e-mail and most important let us know on their web page that they can't reply, how hard can that be... Anyway, I sent the revised e-mail to Dixon Prop at tuesday where i added that i will install the CMC PL-65. The first mail was also sent at tuesday and they replied shortly after, the same day. I will resend it tomorrow if they haven't replied by then. :mad:

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

btw, i'm having a hard time finding a distributor for turbo and stiletto in the nordic region, do they have dealers in europe? Stevens, maybe you can answer this? <br />At their web page http://www.turbo-props.com/Dealer.htm only the states are listed.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

By the way, check out this prop on ebay: Ebay link . A nice Stiletto that seems exactly right for you....

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that one looks nice, however, stiletto props are slightly less aggressive than the turbo product line, right?<br />Peters prop shop don't seem to have a web page, i'm gonna give him a call this week.

stevens

I don't really know how the Stiletto and Turbo are different, but to quote Walleyehed in a previous thread:<br /><br />
The question came up of Stiletto vs. Turbo...well, the Turbo is a bit more aggressive design, and to quote Dhadley (hope he don't mind!)<br />"The Turbo has a bit more technology built into it"...not only compared to Stiletto, but most mass-produced SS props as well.<br /><br />and:<br /><br />Stiletto would be fine, but I like the mid-range and top-end of the Turbo. The good mid-range means better cruise economy, that's always a plus.
I have tried both and haven't been able to spot any major differences between them. But, your set-up may be closer to Walleyehed's test conditions (lighter boat, bigger engine, jack-plate, higher RPM, higher speed), and you may then, for all I know, indeed get more out of the Turbo.

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They guys from Dixon prop replied to my mail regarding adding a jack plate.<br />They say the jack plate shouldn't make any difference in diameter or pitch of the prop, they are not sure if the turbo is more aggressive than the ballistic or not. So, their first recommendations are still valid. Any thoughts about this?

stevens

Realmasa - I would encourage you to have another look at that Stiletto on Ebay, ending tomorrow.<br /><br />It could be a great deal for you, and it would allow you to get some firm baseline data with a prop that is probably close to optimal.<br /><br />At this price level, you could experiment some and be reasonably assured you could sell it again locally to at least cover your cost, or keep it and be pleased you saved a lot of money.<br /><br />And, no, I have absolutely no connection to the seller, I just haven't seen many Turbo/Stiletto props for Yamahas on Ebay so far.

walleyehed

Admiral

They guys from Dixon prop replied to my mail regarding adding a jack plate.<br />They say the jack plate shouldn't make any difference in diameter or pitch of the prop, they are not sure if the turbo is more aggressive than the ballistic or not. So, their first recommendations are still valid. Any thoughts about this?
If this is truely their answer, I wouldn't go back to them for sparkplugs.....<br />Anyone that is a dealer, Props in particular, and does not understand what a jackplate does, or (especially), doesn't know if a Turbo is more aggresive than a Ballistic, has NO Business giving advice in this matter.<br />As Stevens said, I'd take a good look at the Stiletto.....

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Realmasa - I would encourage you to have another look at that Stiletto on Ebay, ending tomorrow
It would be a good idea, good starting point, however, at the ebay page: "The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing." But there's plenty of time to buy props, many months.<br /><br />
If this is truely their answer, I wouldn't go back to them for sparkplugs.....
That's exactly what he said. Turbo-props.com hasn't replied yet, anyone know if their tech question page is up and running again? Dhadley mentioned it was down earlier...

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NB: I'm not a cadet anymore, i'm a seaman apprentice :cool: