Tuning motor in cold temps

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would it be better to wait for warmer weather to try and tune my 20hp 1985 motor?I don't use it in the cold anyway and thought the cold could cause some issues and things may change in the warmer weather.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean by cold? I boat all year, from 20* to 100*, it's not an issue for the motor.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I'm a fair weather boater -- really fair, like between 65 and 75 (OK, maybe 60 and 80). Important thing for tuning, though, is that you have it in the water one way or another. In a barrel, the water is typically about 40F so it takes a while to get the motor up to temp. But that's about the only temperature consideration. Once the motor is at operating temp you're good to go. (Although ability to feel fingertips can be important too, I guess.)

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok-thanks...I do need to get it on the water, but trying to get it close on the muffs first.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
doubt you would be able to get it up to operating temp on just muffs. in a barrel, maybe

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was pretty cool the other day when I had it on muffs and running it.Block felt warm.Not sure what the op. temp should be? Read different explanations as far as how long to hold hand on block before you had to move it.May have to wait for higher temps or find a barrel.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can't do much tuning on muffs, it will run differently when it's actually in the water and has backpressure at an idle.

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
I kinda figured that may be the case when when it comes to the back pressure and I read it is recommended to get it in the water in gear to make the low speed adjustment.Previous owner had low speed screw only an 1/8th turn out I just realized after replacing the plastic retainer in the carb that had crumbled apart.I ran it this way a few times last year not knowing where it would run the best.A learning process for me.Amazing how many videos I see on youtube of people trying to tune them on muffs and trying to figure out problems.I am sure most newer people like myself do this. I think you can get it somewhat close and at least make it run and idle and go from there.Trying to get my 9.9hp 1988 model back together doing some repairs also, so I am keeping busy.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you had a heated shop and a big test tank it would be fine to do it in cold weather. I'm from Northern WI and we worked on them year around.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Everything can be checked on that motor without it running.------The only adjusting that may need to be done is the low speed mixture.---That could be done in seconds on the first warm day.