tune up

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: tune up

Sure, go every other year, but if it won't run after one year because it needs a tune up, then I guess you miss a year of boating.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

First, if its a newer engine I bet it has electronic ignition, which means you just change the plugs after their lifespan and wires after two or three of the plugs life span (your owners manual should have the intervals for the plugs). Your biggest question mark is your outdrive. That has grease points, water pump impellers and gear oil (and prob more stuff I dont know yet) hydralic fluid. Some folks here change that gear oil seasonally, (that depends where you live) I am in FL where that isnt an issue. (then again some folks on here tear their outdrive down seasonally) If seasonality isnt an issue I would first change the oil then keep a log to document how many hours are on the gear oil. Change at the intervals recommended in your owners manual. You can also get an idea of its integrity by drawing a little out from the vent hole at the top and have a look. It probably depends on how much you use it.

ziggy

Admiral

i pretty much did what the summerization thread says...
mine was a little cantankerous to get started, but finally ran. warmed it up and blew the fogging oil out of it. did my compression test. was the same as last fall. put a tune up ontoit. it sure does run better after the tune up... i do a tuneup every spring.....