Tune up worked! Finally some results 88 OMC 4.3

I finally got to work and with the help of my Pop, performed a complete, proper tune up. She runs great now, new points,condenser,rotor,cap, wires, and plugs. Checked dwell and timing which was right on. I went through the gas system first, doing a carb rebuild, checking antisiphon, fuel pump etc. I still have a shifting issue, but I wanted to get it running good before I do the transom service as I have the transom service kit and intend on building a outdrive support as seen on one of these topics, I have the links. It was nearly impossible to get it out of forward gear into neautral today As long as I have owned the boat, when you first go into forward, you would hear a thud, the clutch dog engaging maybe? Nine years ago I had it in the shop and the marina adjusted something, shift cable I think, and for a couple seasons it didn't make that thud noise, but today it was most noticable and would thud several times unless you could throttle up quickly. I would like to know what the marina done to tighten the shift cable. I hope it is not to late and I have ruined the gearset. I have studied on removing the outdrive and viewed the pictures posted by Boatgrunt. I am hoping to find out what is wrong when I remove the drive, maybe corrosion around the bellcrank. Any advice on this shifting issue would be greatly apreciated. I don't have the alignment tool or the puller to remove the gimball bearing. If I take measurements of where the trim cylinders are and make sure the trailer is not moved, can I put the drive back on without the alignment tool? I have never removed an outdrive, I have the actual OMC service manual and an after market brand manual. I have a good understanding of mechanics and how things work. I just wanted to post that I have made some progress as she is running 45 mph at WOT sounding good. Thanks evryone!!!! Any response to my shifting issue would be great. I have read stuarts article and many post related to the elusive OMC shift adjustment. Thanks to eBasic Power, my parts came the very next day, we are in the same state.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tune up worked! Finally some results 88 OMC 4.3

Kind of amazing what keeping up with the basics can do for an engine and drive. Keeping up with the maintenance schedule makes it a lot easier for finding problems if/when they do show up.<br /><br />Regarding your shift problem..... go back to the engine when it is running (on muffs or in the water makes no difference) and push the plunger on the shift interrupt switch (the lever in the V lever)the engine should start running rough, then when you release it the engine should smooth out. if not there is a problem with the ESA circuit.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The alignment tool will tell you if the engine is in alignment with the drive shaft.<br /><br />To that end the only way you can tell if it is in alignment is with the tool. It's worth it to get one.<br /><br />It is absolutely required to ensure that the engine is aligned. If it's not the coupler will self destruct in short order. You'll have to remove the engine to replace the coupler. (been there, done that!)<br /><br /><br />Regards, <br /><br />Rick

I checked the ESA prior to the tune up and it did stumble the engine but I will check it again now that it is tuned. While on the lake yesterday, trying to pull the shift lever back out of forward was very difficult and I couldn't hear a noticable stumbling of the engine. As for the alignment tool, where is the best deal on one. Thanks gentlemen!!

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Your shift cable should be red in color NOT black. Is it red? (The original black cable will bind and could cause this type of problem if you still have that one.)

It is red, and I am sure that I am the second owner of the boat. I am not sure if i have the newest style gearset with the cluth dog teeth's angle changed. I want to think that I read somewhere that they would replace the gearset if the black cable had caused damage. The boat has always made a thud noise in the lower unit when first going into Forward, maybe the cluth dog teeth meshing, and as long as I throttled up quickly it wasn't a problem and the noise would not repeat itself. Once I had it in a Marine shop which said they could try adjusting the shift cable which they did and for a season, I didn't hear the noise but it has come back. I wish I knew what the marina adjusted? The noise is worse now, hearing a couple thuds before throttling up. I think if I wanted to I could make it self destruct by trying to travel very slowly. Initially the owner of the marina told me not to worry about the thud noise until it became a problem at higher speeds. I just hope it's not to late to make adjustments or replace shift cable instead of having the lower unit gearset replaced. The marina I used no longer works on I/O's, fortunately I think the I/O mechanic which did work for them may be available as I have heard that he is working out of his garage now. Thanks everyone as all information is greatly apreciated!!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Hey Don! If you find that mechanic let me know where in NC he is at... Thanks

Hi Gary H, Where are you located in NC? I knew the guy when he worked at Merrit Marine here in Hillsborough. I was able to get his number from a friend, although I think she wanted a finder's fees or something. I haven't called him yet, but when I do, I will ask him if he wants more possible work. My friend says he has built a fence around his yard to comply or to protect boats he is working on. No one likes working on IO's anymore, but can you blame them, I would much rather work on an outboard myself and they are making some big ones now. I will let you know about this mechanic connection on this post.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd be interested in details on the mechanic as well. Trying to do most things myself, but in case I need experienced Cobra help, Hillsborough is only about 45 minutes away.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Hey Don,I'm in the greensboro area.<br />I may also have found a good OMC mechanic..i will check into it this week.A friend of mine uses him and swears he is the guy for Cobra drives...will let you guys know!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

LakeLivin,Where are you located?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gary, I'm up on Hyco Lake past Roxboro. <br /><br />I know of a repair shop that's very good with Cobra's. Reasonably priced and honest. Unfortunately they're near Lake Gaston, a little bit past Littleton on 158. That's a good 80 minute or so drive for me. For anything big I'd go back to them, but for something smaller, I'd be tempted to look closer to home for anything I can't do myself.