trying to start '74 135hp Johnson w/out controls/key

heygibb

Recruit
I have an unusual situation. I was given a '74 Johnson (model 135ESL74B) to offset a debt, but it came w/ no controls. They were whacked off. I have a short length of wire extending out of the motor housing that plugs into the harness w/ the red plug.
My money is tight, so before I purchase a control box and cables, I would like to get the motor running. Is it possible to do w/out the complete control/ignition wiring in place?

I've tried to jump 12v from the feed side of the starter solenoid to the small terminal on the solenoid w/ a start button. I only get one click and then nothing else. The pinion gear doesn't extend.
I, also, tried to jump from the feed side of the solenoid directly to the hot side of the starter motor. I activated the pinion for a second and then nothing. Holding the start button down does nothing.

Do I need to wire some of the cut wires together to make this work?
Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: trying to start '74 135hp Johnson w/out controls/key

Do you have both battery cables connected SECURELY? If not, STOP and do it. You risk destroying some expensive stuff. If cables are connected, it should start and run doing what you did. But you will have no way of turning it off or shifting it.

heygibb

Recruit
Re: trying to start '74 135hp Johnson w/out controls/key

Do you have both battery cables connected SECURELY? If not, STOP and do it. You risk destroying some expensive stuff. If cables are connected, it should start and run doing what you did. But you will have no way of turning it off or shifting it.

Thanks for your input, as I thought it should run, too. Both cables are connected to battery (which is still in my truck, running) w/ new end clamps, securely to top post terminals. I have no marine or spare battery to use. Is having my truck running an issue? I wanted max power to do the start.

I can use the choke to cut it off, if I get it started, or remove the gas line and let it run out. At least, that was my plan.